sports medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! This is my first time posting in the orthopedic forum. I'll be applying to DO/MD programs this summer 2009 entry. I've been in love w/ ortho for quite some time, specifically the sports medicine aspect. I know there are other ways to get into sports medicine, one of them being a family practice residenc with a sports medicine fellowship, but i've heard it just ends up beign a waste of a year and its hard to find a sports medicine affiliated job. Does that apply to ortho as well? I know ortho is super competitive as far as residency....but what about the competitiveness for sports medicine fellowships??

My dream job would be an orthopedic surgeon for the san francisco 49ers or maybe even the US rugby team. I dunno tho, i've heard being a doc for a sports team is pretty insane as far as work hours...more so than usual...any thoughts on this?? I've always wondered how peopel end up landing jobs like that...is it about connections?? If I wanted to land a job with the 9ers, would it be wise to try to go to med school or residency in the bay area???? Do they have fellowships specifically that work with teams??

thanks for all the info!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! This is my first time posting in the orthopedic forum. I'll be applying to DO/MD programs this summer 2009 entry. I've been in love w/ ortho for quite some time, specifically the sports medicine aspect. I know there are other ways to get into sports medicine, one of them being a family practice residenc with a sports medicine fellowship, but i've heard it just ends up beign a waste of a year and its hard to find a sports medicine affiliated job. Does that apply to ortho as well? I know ortho is super competitive as far as residency....but what about the competitiveness for sports medicine fellowships??

My dream job would be an orthopedic surgeon for the san francisco 49ers or maybe even the US rugby team. I dunno tho, i've heard being a doc for a sports team is pretty insane as far as work hours...more so than usual...any thoughts on this?? I've always wondered how peopel end up landing jobs like that...is it about connections?? If I wanted to land a job with the 9ers, would it be wise to try to go to med school or residency in the bay area???? Do they have fellowships specifically that work with teams??

thanks for all the info!!

No one responded?

VERY NICE!

No one responded?

This person has questions about (1) Sports Medicine Fellowships, and (2) job options in a super-niche market.

I can't possibly imagine why a forum for Orthopaedic Surgeons and Residents wouldn't have a million responses . . . :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to land a job with the 9ers, would it be wise to try to go to med school or residency in the bay area????

It would be wise to email the team doctor first and bug him with a ton of questions.

And then it would be wise to get cozy with the team owner. Those types of jobs are "given". You don't "land" them.

It would be wise to email the team doctor first and bug him with a ton of questions.

And then it would be wise to get cozy with the team owner. Those types of jobs are "given". You don't "land" them.

And since the guy's still a premed, he's got a lot of time in which to accomplish this.