Spots already filled by foreign grads?

Started by Poety
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Poety

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, just wondering if I read something wrong, but do the foreign grads get to match early in a residency? I thought everyone was interviewing at the same time and had an equal chance?

Any IMG's know what I'm talking about and can explain? Thanks so much!
 
Poety said:
Hi all, just wondering if I read something wrong, but do the foreign grads get to match early in a residency? I thought everyone was interviewing at the same time and had an equal chance?

Any IMG's know what I'm talking about and can explain? Thanks so much!

As far as I know, FMGs can still sign out of the match...the so-called "pre-match." They are not governed by the same rules as American medical grads, and DOs. As such, they may be offered spots outside the match by signing an early contract.

I think this rule is changing for DOs soon, if it hasn't already.
 
Anasazi23 said:
As far as I know, FMGs can still sign out of the match...the so-called "pre-match." They are not governed by the same rules as American medical grads, and DOs. As such, they may be offered spots outside the match by signing an early contract.

I think this rule is changing for DOs soon, if it hasn't already.

UGG how lucky! Well good luck to EVERYONE, FMG, USIMG, IMG, whatever - I hope everyone gets their first choice residency, or at least a place they can be VERY happy at for 4 years 🙂

Thanks Ana! 👍