Spots outside the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdjo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there ever spots available outside the match in derm? My folks are academic physicians in other specialties, and they say that every year, they hear about spots opening up because people who matched have career changes, graduation delays, family/health issues, etc. and that programs make these spots available outside the match and spread the word through various PD listservs. Does this happen in derm? I was just wondering if there's any avenue besides ERAS for finding out about these spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there ever spots available outside the match in derm? My folks are academic physicians in other specialties, and they say that every year, they hear about spots opening up because people who matched have career changes, graduation delays, family/health issues, etc. and that programs make these spots available outside the match and spread the word through various PD listservs. Does this happen in derm? I was just wondering if there's any avenue besides ERAS for finding out about these spots.

Yes. This happens in derm. Occasionally candidates will drop their position.... usually during PGY-1 intern year (so the candidate never starts at the derm program). I actually think this is less rare than you'd think as I personally know of 2 people that did this.

What usually ends up happening is that either (1) the spot gets filled (almost immediately) by some affiliated candidate (either internal, research fellow, etc.) out-of-the-match or (2) if early enough, gets listed on ERAS/NRMP as a formal "matched" PGY-2 immediate start position. Even in the case of #2, those spots still usually just end up going to an affiliated candidate (i.e. research fellows, etc.). It's way easier for a program to take a bet on a candidate they know well enough, then accept someone who either didn't match to derm the last cycle and and is re-applying or switching into derm for some other reason.

I've personally seen one or two "meh" candidates end up at some great residency programs (i.e. Top 10) just by being in the right place at the right time through this very process. Connections go far in the world of dermatology.

Also keep in mind the # of funded dermatology spots is still in flux every year (there are a few spots added every year...as in all specialties). These get distributed to new programs +/- expanding the size of older programs. Sometimes this means a PGY-2 spot can open up out of number because of additional funding.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. This happens in derm. Occasionally candidates will drop their position.... usually during PGY-1 intern year (so the candidate never starts at the derm program). I actually think this is less rare than you'd think as I personally know of 2 people that did this.

What usually ends up happening is that either (1) the spot gets filled (almost immediately) by some affiliated candidate (either internal, research fellow, etc.) out-of-the-match or (2) if early enough, gets listed on ERAS/NRMP as a formal "matched" PGY-2 immediate start position. Even in the case of #2, those spots still usually just end up going to an affiliated candidate (i.e. research fellows, etc.). It's way easier for a program to take a bet on a candidate they know well enough, then accept someone who either didn't match to derm the last cycle and and is re-applying or switching into derm for some other reason.

I've personally seen one or two "meh" candidates end up at some great residency programs (i.e. Top 10) just by being in the right place at the right time through this very process. Connections go far in the world of dermatology.

Also keep in mind the # of funded dermatology spots is still in flux every year (there are a few spots added every year...as in all specialties). These get distributed to new programs +/- expanding the size of older programs. Sometimes this means a PGY-2 spot can open up out of number because of additional funding.

this is spot on.

Yes, usually those spots are advertised in 2 ways: word of mouth (which is kept in a very tight circle), and through the Dermatology listserv. It can be very hush-hush, so a lot of times it really requires a kind faculty member to make you apprised of these positions. As dermie1985 said, connections matter a lot in this specialty and yes, there have been people who've gotten derm PGY-2 positions at the place they're either doing a derm research fellowship or even an internship at, which had a spot that opened up and got last-minute funding.

Before the "all-in" rule, a residency program could give any (or all) of their residency spots outside of the match to everyone except U.S. seniors. So when a spot opened up at another institution to start that immediate July, you interviewed for it (assuming the program wants to interview) and you find out in like January whether you got it or not, so if you're accepted, there is enough time to withdraw out of the official match.

So let's say during that match cycle, a new derm residency spot was able to get funding starting immediately that July. No U.S. senior would be eligible for that spot, because you would have to have completed internship before then, so in reality you're usually competing against those who went unmatched currently finishing their intern year and derm research fellows. Usually though, if a spot opens up at a place that has derm research fellows, the spot was automatically given to one of them and there was no interviewing of external candidates.

Now that the "all-in" rule is in place, these are the Physician-R programs: http://www.nrmp.org/residency/main-residency-match/ - "Physician-R: programs that are reserved for physicians who have had prior graduate medical education. Reserved programs offer PGY-2 positions that begin in the year of the Match and thus are not available to senior medical students." So now it's just separately ranked, but you find out in March like everyone else, since it is done thru the Match.

If a spot opens up (March to June) after the match is closed, i.e. late funding, to start immediately that upcoming July, I think that is the only exception to not having to participate in the match.