Spring Orgo - CC or UNECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookDeRosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn about orgo 1 and 2. I have taken my premeds at my cc because they are the only pm schedule option, however, the orgo schedule for spring is am only!?! My options are to wait out a semester or go through UNECOM. So, I emailed 8 DO COMs and all said they accept Orgo from UNECOM, none even gave me any grief for asking....but I wonder, is an online course from a 4 year com better or worse than a face 2 face course at a community college? Bonus is that I could probably do orgo 1 and 2 in one semester at UNECOM since it's self paced. Feedback??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm torn about orgo 1 and 2. I have taken my premeds at my cc because they are the only pm schedule option, however, the orgo schedule for spring is am only!?! My options are to wait out a semester or go through UNECOM. So, I emailed 8 DO COMs and all said they accept Orgo from UNECOM, none even gave me any grief for asking....but I wonder, is an online course from a 4 year com better or worse than a face 2 face course at a community college? Bonus is that I could probably do orgo 1 and 2 in one semester at UNECOM since it's self paced. Feedback??

I reckon if you e-mailed 8 PDs and they all said that it would be fine, it'd be fine. I think getting your entire BA from the University of Phoenix would be a so-so idea, but you can easily explain the 1-2 o. chem classes. Just do well in them and do well on your MCAT, and it will show you learned what you needed to.

Hey, do you mind if I ask which schools said that would be fine with UNECOM?.. I just ask because I'm interested. You can PM me if that's better for ya. IMO, the MCAT is the great equalizer, and from hearsay org. chem. has taken somewhat of a lesser role on recent MCAT's, so I think you'd be fine either way, but others who have gone the conventional route on these forums may be more skeptical. Anyway, just wonderin'...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, do you mind if I ask which schools said that would be fine with UNECOM?.. I just ask because I'm interested. You can PM me if that's better for ya. IMO, the MCAT is the great equalizer, and from hearsay org. chem. has taken somewhat of a lesser role on recent MCAT's, so I think you'd be fine either way, but others who have gone the conventional route on these forums may be more skeptical. Anyway, just wonderin'...

Thanks!

You should ask the schools you are interested in, and use your real name. I did the opposite of what I found as advice in another thread (to use a fake name) because I figured I'd have my printed emails in my file if/when I got an interview invite. Just my opinion.

You should ask the schools you are interested in, and use your real name. I did the opposite of what I found as advice in another thread (to use a fake name) because I figured I'd have my printed emails in my file if/when I got an interview invite. Just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing this! Too bad that I'm finishing Org II right now... I have a great professor in the classroom but I'm pretty sure I could have done it online. It's not as bad as it is made out to be.

I'm a little confused. For med school you need to take o chem with lab both semesters. How can you do a lab online? Are you planning on taking the labs as separate courses later?

I'm a little confused. For med school you need to take o chem with lab both semesters. How can you do a lab online? Are you planning on taking the labs as separate courses later?

The UNE ochem online class has a lab component. You have the materials mailed to you and you perform the experiments at home.