SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Hope7, May 23, 2001.

1. Hope7

Hope7 Member 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2001
    I'm interested in dentistry, however I'm very squeamish. Can you please explain what I can expect to face as a dental student and as a dentist/orthodontist. For instance, do you see a lot of vomit? I can handle blood but things like phlegm and vomit does make my stomach turn.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Chicago, Illinois
    Why not become a radiologist?
  4. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Brooklyn, ct
    5 words for you, you get used to it. For alot of folks(myself included) the 1st time you see certain procedures(most commonly oral surgery procedures) folks will get squeamish. I almost passed out when I saw my first biopsy when I was observing an oral surgeon during my sophmore year of college. After you've seen things though a few times, you get used to it. If your worried about vomit, it really is quite a rare event in dentistry. For most folks, the greatest chance of vomitting while at the office is while an impression is being taken on someone with a sensitive gag reflex. If the vomit issue really concerns you, you might want to rethink the orthodontic thoughts, since in general, an orthodontist will take the greatest number of impressions, thus increasing the chance of the vomit event. It is still quite rare though, my wife, an orthodontist, has roughly 1 vomitting episode in her office every 8 to 10 months(and they average about 5 to 8 patients a day that they are taking impressions on)
  5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    I'm sure you'll stomach it once you're in there.... Good luck.