Squeamish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in dentistry, however I'm very squeamish. Can you please explain what I can expect to face as a dental student and as a dentist/orthodontist. For instance, do you see a lot of vomit? I can handle blood but things like phlegm and vomit does make my stomach turn.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not become a radiologist?

5 words for you, you get used to it. For alot of folks(myself included) the 1st time you see certain procedures(most commonly oral surgery procedures) folks will get squeamish. I almost passed out when I saw my first biopsy when I was observing an oral surgeon during my sophmore year of college. After you've seen things though a few times, you get used to it. If your worried about vomit, it really is quite a rare event in dentistry. For most folks, the greatest chance of vomitting while at the office is while an impression is being taken on someone with a sensitive gag reflex. If the vomit issue really concerns you, you might want to rethink the orthodontic thoughts, since in general, an orthodontist will take the greatest number of impressions, thus increasing the chance of the vomit event. It is still quite rare though, my wife, an orthodontist, has roughly 1 vomitting episode in her office every 8 to 10 months(and they average about 5 to 8 patients a day that they are taking impressions on)

I'm sure you'll stomach it once you're in there.... Good luck.