SS number for foreign students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nomadic123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey how does a foreign student study at an Optometry school in the U.S.?
Do they need an S.S. number? or just a student visa? I emailed SUNY opt and they said for a foreigner to get advanced standing in their OD program, they have to pass part I of the NBEO exam. And apparently the institution has to sponsor the foreigner to take the exam:

"The National Board requires a letter from the dean or president specifying the exam, candidate name, social security number, date and other relevant information."
www.optometry.org

How can a foriegner get a social security number to take the test?
 
Hey how does a foreign student study at an Optometry school in the U.S.?
Do they need an S.S. number? or just a student visa? I emailed SUNY opt and they said for a foreigner to get advanced standing in their OD program, they have to pass part I of the NBEO exam. And apparently the institution has to sponsor the foreigner to take the exam:

"The National Board requires a letter from the dean or president specifying the exam, candidate name, social security number, date and other relevant information."
www.optometry.org

How can a foriegner get a social security number to take the test?

You probably can't. I would either phone the NBEO and ask them how to handle it and perhaps they will assign you an ID number or just make up your own 9 digit ID number. JUST DONT FORGET IT!
 
Hey how does a foreign student study at an Optometry school in the U.S.?
Do they need an S.S. number? or just a student visa? I emailed SUNY opt and they said for a foreigner to get advanced standing in their OD program, they have to pass part I of the NBEO exam. And apparently the institution has to sponsor the foreigner to take the exam:

"The National Board requires a letter from the dean or president specifying the exam, candidate name, social security number, date and other relevant information."
www.optometry.org

How can a foriegner get a social security number to take the test?


I have been trying to get one for a year now. You need a reason to get one... so for example if you are lucky enough to get an international student work study job at SUNY then you MUST go get one and I think SUNY gives you a letter or something saying you need a SSN because you have a job. I'll have to figure out another way for me to get one... I heard you need one if you do an internship at a VA hospital.