• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

SSRI dopaminergic effects

WiseOne

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2011
This may or may not be a stupid thread.

I happened to be reading on how anticholinergic medication can increase the risk of dementia long-term, even after a very short amount of use. I was thinking, this must mean that the brain doesn't fully reverse whatever changes are induced by anticholinergics on the cholinergic system. I am not sure what the exact mechanism is. I was thinking by analogy, how antidepressants are known to have inhibitory effects on dopaminergic signaling, and that some people tend to report apparent problems long after discontinuation. I am not well versed in neuroscience so I was wondering if the brains response to SSRIs dopaminergic effects could be anything similar to its response to anticholinergic med effects? Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About the Ads

thoffen

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
  1. Attending Physician
Also agree that it's not a stupid thread. And also that a clear answer is incredibly difficult to establish unless the connection is pretty robust. That said, if no one is looking into that hypothesis then an important finding might be missed.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.