St. Catherine's MSW program

Started by elprez33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

elprez33

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

This is my first post so sorry if I break etiquette🙂. So I am somehow drawn to the MSW program at St. Catherine/St. Thomas in Minneapolis. In my research of the program I have discovered that they do have a direct practice concentration (micro concentration is what I am looking for), my questions is: anyone familiar with that program who can tell me if it provides ample training for a clinical setting?

Also on a semi-related note I am very interested in enrolling in their dual MSW & Masters of Holistic Health Studies degree. I find holistic care to fascinating and thought that it would supplement my MSW training. Would that stigmatize me if I were to apply for a job with a governmental agency or other "serious" employer, would having a holistic studies background make me look less serious as a candidate?

I have gone through all sorts of scenarios with graduate school. I have been considering many other dual degree programs (JD, MPP). Was thinking about a PsyD too...and may still consider it. And I have (lightly, by reading info on their websites) investigated MANY MSW programs.

Any help/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated🙂, thank you!
 
Anything state and federal entity is generally going to take a conservative approach to things. Holistic Health doesn't really fall under that. If Holistic Health is big in your area, then maybe it might be a possibility. I would ask what kind of practicums are available there that would utilize both the MSW and Holistic Health. Do you plan on becoming a LCSW?
 
I know several people who have completed this program, and speak highly of it. All are employed clinically - a few in private practice, one in an elementary school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I plan on going for an LCSW, I just want to make sure that any sort of study in holistic science/medicine wouldn't peg me as lacking seriousness or maturity if I went to go apply for a job at the VA or another government entity.
 
And thank you ela it's good to hear that those who have gone through this program have enjoyed it 🙂