St. Catherine's MSW program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elprez33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post so sorry if I break etiquette:). So I am somehow drawn to the MSW program at St. Catherine/St. Thomas in Minneapolis. In my research of the program I have discovered that they do have a direct practice concentration (micro concentration is what I am looking for), my questions is: anyone familiar with that program who can tell me if it provides ample training for a clinical setting?

Also on a semi-related note I am very interested in enrolling in their dual MSW & Masters of Holistic Health Studies degree. I find holistic care to fascinating and thought that it would supplement my MSW training. Would that stigmatize me if I were to apply for a job with a governmental agency or other "serious" employer, would having a holistic studies background make me look less serious as a candidate?

I have gone through all sorts of scenarios with graduate school. I have been considering many other dual degree programs (JD, MPP). Was thinking about a PsyD too...and may still consider it. And I have (lightly, by reading info on their websites) investigated MANY MSW programs.

Any help/advice/counsel would be greatly appreciated:), thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anything state and federal entity is generally going to take a conservative approach to things. Holistic Health doesn't really fall under that. If Holistic Health is big in your area, then maybe it might be a possibility. I would ask what kind of practicums are available there that would utilize both the MSW and Holistic Health. Do you plan on becoming a LCSW?

I know several people who have completed this program, and speak highly of it. All are employed clinically - a few in private practice, one in an elementary school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I plan on going for an LCSW, I just want to make sure that any sort of study in holistic science/medicine wouldn't peg me as lacking seriousness or maturity if I went to go apply for a job at the VA or another government entity.

And thank you ela it's good to hear that those who have gone through this program have enjoyed it :)