St. Chris vs. London Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarFanatic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
I am in a dilemma. I am an international student who is looking into the UK as a backup in case it doesnt work for me in the US. Now, if I had a choice between going to St. Chris or one of the Medical schools in London, which should i got to? I mean St. Chris is only 5 semesters than I'm back in the US? Hopefully, a London Medical School would be I think 4 years, but I'm not sure on that either. I would have 4 years of undergraduate course work done by the time I enter either of em. What would I be better of doing if I plan on coming back to the US to practice medicine?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

st chris or one of the london schools? are you refering to the schools chartered outside of the UK, but operating in the UK? if that is the case, i think st chris is the only one that is even remotely decent.

if you plan to return to the US, there are quite a few options that are better than any of these schools. given the current climate regarding licensure, you prob want to attend a school that is approved in all 50 states. another issue specific to the UK schools is that they are a relatively new idea, which may have problems in the future. the two large problems (or more accurately, potential problems) are the fact that the schools operate outside of the country of charter, and that with an increased number of them opening up, the UK govt may take a careful look at these schools, and reevaluate whether they should be allowed to stay there.

if for whatever reason, you absolutely must study in the UK, and cannot get into a real UK school, stick with st chris. but, if you simply want to live there, i would strongly urge you to reconsider. living on an island for two years is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. trading two years in london for two years in the carib with the potential cost of not being licensable where you want to live, or having the school be booted back to senegal seems....well, lets just say that the risk is far greater than the reward!

don't take chances with your education. you will have to live with the consequences of your diploma for the rest of your practicing life.

I attend st chris and believe it to be a fine school. I am also happy to answer any questions you may have. feel free to PM or email me.

However, i would also like to suggest that you check out the Atlantic Bridge program. it places americans in irish medical schools and is well recognized worldwide. The only drawback is that you must do all 5 years in ireland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies guys. But as far as other London schools, I was referring to ones such as Kings, Barts, St. Georges, etc. I was looking into their 4 year graduate Medical program they had. I was trying to compare those to St. Chris, sorry for the confusion. If I were to get into one of these London schools, do you think the US would give me a hard time?

Thank you

CarFanatic said:
Thank you for the replies guys. But as far as other London schools, I was referring to ones such as Kings, Barts, St. Georges, etc. I was looking into their 4 year graduate Medical program they had. I was trying to compare those to St. Chris, sorry for the confusion. If I were to get into one of these London schools, do you think the US would give me a hard time?

Thank you

Firstly, If you were able to get into one of thsoe programs, the US would not give you a hard time whatsoever.

However, have u actually contacted any of those schools about their 4 year programs? If not, I seriously suggest you do. I have inquired, and as far as I can find out, those programs are ONLY for british citizens. The 4 year programs are very new and are still very tightly gaurded.

I again refer you to the atlantic bridge program.

If you are British then getting into a British med school is tough, You need good grades and the like, If you are not British and would be foreign then it is almost impossible! They take few foreign students in the UK. The only options are St. Chris, Carib, or some of the other european med schools.
Cheers

whuds said:
If you are British then getting into a British med school is tough, You need good grades and the like, If you are not British and would be foreign then it is almost impossible! They take few foreign students in the UK. The only options are St. Chris, Carib, or some of the other european med schools.
Cheers
"Foreign" and "not British" might not be the right words. British schools seem to be moderately accessible to other European students. (I know of students from one European country who see UK schools as a backup if they are unable to get into one of their own schools.) The catch is that I think this (still limited) accessibility only applies within Europe.

I think there are very few seats set aside for non-European students. And it would be easier for an American student to get into an American med school (even to a top 20 American med school) than to a UK school.

This might be changing though. I've heard that a couple of the UK schools might be following the example of the Irish schools.

brightblueeyes said:
"Foreign" and "not British" might not be the right words. British schools seem to be moderately accessible to other European students. (I know of students from one European country who see UK schools as a backup if they are unable to get into one of their own schools.) The catch is that I think this (still limited) accessibility only applies within Europe.

I think there are very few seats set aside for non-European students. And it would be easier for an American student to get into an American med school (even to a top 20 American med school) than to a UK school.

This might be changing though. I've heard that a couple of the UK schools might be following the example of the Irish schools.

I don't understand? UK is the British Isles and Foreign means not from the UK, British Isles. Just because the UK is part of the EU doesn't make each person French too? So if you are from France you are foreign to the UK and vice versa to every other country in the EU. Each country would like to admit their citizens first to their med schools I would think?

whuds said:
I don't understand? UK is the British Isles and Foreign means not from the UK, British Isles. Just because the UK is part of the EU doesn't make each person French too? So if you are from France you are foreign to the UK and vice versa to every other country in the EU. Each country would like to admit their citizens first to their med schools I would think?
I think you misunderstood. I was simply saying that it doesn't seem to be terribly difficult for someone else from the EU to get into a British school. (i.e. they seem to have readier access than non-EU students.) This seems to suggest that UK schools distinguish between EU and non-EU applicants. (This doesn't rule out that, within this group, they might give preference to UK students.)

Most EU schools I'm familiar with treat all EU students in a similar way, providing they can prove fluency in that school's language of instruction. Schools in Switzerland are different, but they're not part of the EU. (And even in Switzerland, they treat EU applicants a little differently from non-EU applicants.)

Okay I understand but there are some Students here in London who claim that it is so competative that there are very few spots for anybody else other than UK students. I was trying to stress that there are other school such as Irish school who are easier to get into if you are not from the UK.

brightblueeyes said:

Hey blueeyes, which UK schools are u talking about that might be following the example of Irish schools. Thanks for the info.

Jug27 said:
Hey blueeyes, which UK schools are u talking about that might be following the example of Irish schools. Thanks for the info.
You might want to check out the University of Edinburgh. I don't think they have a separate program but I've heard it's med school is moderately accessible to NA students...but for a price.

whuds said:
Okay I understand but there are some Students here in London who claim that it is so competative that there are very few spots for anybody else other than UK students. I was trying to stress that there are other school such as Irish school who are easier to get into if you are not from the UK.
It wasn't my intention to belittle how much effort it takes to get into med school. And from what I hear, admission to any London school is a fair bit tougher than most.