1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

St. George and AUC!!!

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by 84meddreamer84, May 10, 2007.

1. 84meddreamer84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello people,
    I need an advise on applying to med schools and I really appreciate your help.

I'm applying to med school for the third year. I applied before to 25 MD and 13 DO American schools but I got rejected from all. Now I'm planning to apply again plus to the carribeans.

I have a BA degree in biology, minor in anthropology, more than 148 credits (including Genetics, Molecular and Cell Biology). GPA is 3.8, Science GPA is 3.65. I have research background, tutoring experience, volunteered for more than 300 hours, worked full time as a phlebotomist is a hospital, and gained many scholarships and awards (Phi Beta Kappa ..etc)

However my mcat scres are low, for 2005 VR: 5 PS:6 BS:8
    for 2006 vr:3 ps:4 bs 6 (I've gone thru a bad time)

if I apply this week to Saint George and AUC, will I have a chance? What do you guys think (keep in mind that I was a little late when I applied to the american schools, which might've affected the committee's decision)

if I don't have a chance, where would I? bearing in mind that I need financial aid too. Thanks a lot!!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Retake the MCAT and bring your total score up to something like 24 or 25. Then you'll probably have a good chance. Those are the kind of MCAT scores SGU likes to see although I can't speak for AUC.

4. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your MCAT may break you in the end because of the significance of the USMLE exams in medical school.

You should apply and you might get in but why did you even take the exam when you knew you didn't answer any questions correctly?

5. awdc

awdc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take an MCAT review course if you haven't done so already.

6. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just follow these 8 steps to success:

1. Buy a Kaplan MCAT review book and go home.
    2. Go in your room and lock the door.
    3. Study, study, study. When you get tired of studying, study some more.
    4. Eat/drink when necessary.
    5. Go to bed.
    6. Wake up and repeast steps 2 through 6 until the day of the MCAT.
    7. Take the MCAT.
    8. Sit back and wait for your excellent score to arrive.

7. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not for August. The class filled up within the last few weeks.

8. microphage

microphage Useless Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The lowest MCAT score I've ever heard from AUC is 15 (total) but that was in 2003 when I started.

Definitely go retake the MCATs and use a review course (don't skip out on any lectures).:p

9. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    15?? Holy schnikes! What, did the guy have an outstanding GPA or a long list of extracurriculars? Or did his father endow a building or something?

10. berkeleyboy

berkeleyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've also heard of a 15 at SGU and that was also in 2003 when I started. Really nice guy and had a good GPA.

I've heard of several 18s as as well, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't study for the exam. I've seen guys with 250+ on step 1 try to transfer out and not get accepted due to their extremely low mcat scores.

11. 84meddreamer84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    But I took a Princeton Review course, I studied the material and did all homework. That didn't help my score! Do you think doing more questions will create a significant difference, is it just practice? what about the flash cards? Other ways of success?
    One student that took that course took Kaplan too, and told me there is no difference between the two!
    What do I do diffferently this time to get good scores?
    Thanks All!

12. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Kaplan review course has a very good reputation. A lot of the questions they give are similar to actual MCAT questions. Also, how did you study? Did you do lots of questions? Did you read from review books rather than textbooks? Those are the most efficient ways to study.

13. 84meddreamer84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    my study technique was mostly memorizing! I covered all the review books I had from the Princeton review (Biology, physics, chem...etc). What I'm trying to do differently now is to do more questions and learn from the answers and reading alot to boost up my verbal reasoning score. What do u think about flash cards too?

If you think the classes are full, do u recommend applying for Spring then? should I wait till I get the results of the next august MCAT score? (I'm afraid if I appply now, I won't get accepted, and when I reapply , I'm sure they need new esays which take a looong time to write and proofread) Thanks again!

14. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So if you started in 2003, does that mean that you're graduating soon? If so, to what kind of residency did you match?