St. George or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 and an 18, 8P,7B,3V. I just applied to St. George and Ross. What are my chances. Is it too late for the september 2007 class. are my scores too low.

thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is definitely on the low side. However, your GPA is exceptional. By the way, is that your science GPA or the overall one? Anyway, I think your GPA might be able to compensate and offset your MCAT score. A friend of mine was in your situation (very high GPA - around 3.7 from UCLA with a very low MCAT - probably 20) and she got accepted to AUC without interview. I think she is second or third year now. So, anything is possible. Good luck!

it might be possible, but that 3 in verbal is hard to look past. maybe try applying to SABA before they start requiring the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply and confidence builder. My science GPA is probably 3.9. Also do you think I applied too late for September. I just applied last week.

Thank you for the reply and confidence builder. My science GPA is probably 3.9. Also do you think I applied too late for September. I just applied last week.

no, i think most people apply for the fall classes around this time, or even later. you should be fine in terms of timing.

I have a 3.8 and an 18, 8P,7B,3V. I just applied to St. George and Ross. What are my chances. Is it too late for the september 2007 class. are my scores too low.

thanks a lot

the 3 is the verbal section....makes it hard to get into the top 2 caribbean schools. Try AUA or st mathews. or even some of the poland schools.

what about Ross MERP or St. George premed for one semester. I heard sometimes they will accept you into these programs if you don't get into MD.
Should I go to these programs or retake the MCAT:cool:

what about Ross MERP or St. George premed for one semester. I heard sometimes they will accept you into these programs if you don't get into MD.
Should I go to these programs or retake the MCAT:cool:

Hey MD driven!
Do yourself a favor. Just apply to both and see what happens. The SDN is good for some advise...sometimes. But you will never know until you actually apply and go through the process. My take on it is: don't sweat it. And why are limiting yourself to carib only? Why not re-take MCAT and apply U.S MD/DO? Anyway, just my $0.02.

Good Luck

I do not want to wait another two years to start medical school. If I do not get in, I will think about reaplying to U.S after retaking MCAT. Besides, I took Kaplan all last summer and could not get higher than a 24. I probably could not get into DO or MD with that score anyways, Right.

How do you have a 3.8 and get an 18 on the MCAT? You get 20 points for just showing up.

I do not want to wait another two years to start medical school. If I do not get in, I will think about reaplying to U.S after retaking MCAT. Besides, I took Kaplan all last summer and could not get higher than a 24. I probably could not get into DO or MD with that score anyways, Right.

This a very common arguement, and I fell for it myself about three years ago. But if you look at the reality MCAT is a standardized test, a measurement stick if you will. Of course, it's not a predictor of how good of a doctor you're going to be, but it could give you an idea of your performance on USMLE. Do what you think is right, but make sure that you understand what you are getting yourself in. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Good Luck :luck:

I am just going to see what happens for now. Hopefully , I will get into St. George or Ross.

With a 24, you could get into a DO school, and you could possibly get into your state allopathic school, depending on what state you live in.

I live in California. There is no chance on getting into MD. It's not worth the wait for a DO. Also, I have never shadowed a DO.

thanks a lot

I knew someone at my class in SGU with a verbal score of 2. Its not the norm but it can happen.

more anecdotal evidence, the better:thumbup:

I'm sure you can improve your sciences. I'm not too concerned about your verbal (I have a relatively low verbal score as well), but I think with your GPA you have room to give it another shot. Take the test once more (what do you have to lose?). Do well on your sciences, especially Bio. You will notice that that section is mostly memorization, so its not hard to improve.

I would recommend retaking the MCAT's since you have a great gpa and would have a great chance getting into a US school with an avg MCAT score. However if that isn't in an option I would think you would have a good chance for the Ross September class --- If a May start date is an option let Ross know since they rarely fill up the May class.

I messed up and didnt apply to US schools in time and decided to go to the carribean because it was the was the easiest thing to to at the time. I had a lower GPA than you but a decent MCAT score. In retrospect I think I should have waited a year as I had a great chance at a US school. I totally think you should do the same- Take a course and get that MCAT up first. Then apply next year. Its worth it.

Thanks

This is very good advice:thumbup: