St. George?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a good match out of this program? I am asking because I like the location. I think it would make medical school a fun and exciting time. No pressure, and the water is an amazing color. You should check out the website.

http://www.sgu.edu/NewsEvents.nsf/webcontent/A0891F821CCF8B3085256DDA0075748A?OpenDocument

Look at that view!

I am just checking to see if considering that school is wise. I am pretty sure that I am going to get a negative response. I am not an applicant just looking to get into any program, I have the grades and ec's to get into a top 20 school, but I just think it would be cool to spend 4 years down there.

Is it possible to get a great, (ie: orthopeadics) and attend St. georges?

Members don't see this ad.

if you have the grades, etc for a top 20 school it really doesnt make sense to go down there. IF you love the view, etc soo much just go there on your vacation, spring break, or even summer break.

believe, me attending a caribbean med school is considered INFERIOR. you will have to bear the stigma of attending one of these caribbean med schools for the rest of your life. People will inevitably ridicule you. IT is long known fact among residency directors and US med school students that Caribbean schools are way easier to get into and usually dont look at MCAT scores (yes I know some of them say they high MCAT scores, however, since these schools are not governed by LCME they can create these fabrications).

As individuals on here have previously stated, these schools are simply money making diploma mills.

IF you are serious about the REST of your life and MEDICINE...do not do it. Here you are the negative response you asked for. :laugh: however bearable it may be, it is simply what I have seen and heard and thus relay to you.

later

The water's an amazing color here too. ;)

lanikai-sailing.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could get into Hawai'i I would. However, I heard it was almost impossible as someone who isn't a resident of Hawai'i.

I am not even a resident of the United States.

even though mountaindew2006 opnion on the matter of SGU versus top 20 is correct. If you want orthopedics, you can't go to SGU and have a realalistic chance of getting into orthopedics without having some serious connections. SGU does get some of the better residency matches in the caribbean, but some spots will be harder to get out of a caribbean school. But don't fool yourself into that it'll be easy to get coming out of a US school either though. These are hard to get residencies for a reason.

That point aside, his view of caribbean med schools is completly skewed and should be disregarded. The only time it really does work against you is come residency application time. Rest of his post is conjecture. (hope I used that word correctly).

Originally posted by lmbebo
even though mountaindew2006 opnion on the matter of SGU versus top 20 is correct. If you want orthopedics, you can't go to SGU and have a realalistic chance of getting into orthopedics without having some serious connections. SGU does get some of the better residency matches in the caribbean, but some spots will be harder to get out of a caribbean school. But don't fool yourself into that it'll be easy to get coming out of a US school either though. These are hard to get residencies for a reason.

That point aside, his view of caribbean med schools is completly skewed and should be disregarded. The only time it really does work against you is come residency application time. Rest of his post is conjecture. (hope I used that word correctly).

Nah, according to Mountaindew2006, you're only a Caribbean medical student, therefore you could never master pretentious diction...

The moderator of the Radiation Oncology forum is the Chief Resident at the Johns Hopkins program.

She graduated from SGU. Anything is possible, methinks.

You have got to be kidding me, if you have a decent shot at getting into a US MD school and still intentionally choose the Carribbean, you must be out of your mind, to pick a school and make a over a 100,00 grand investment becuase the water is a good color, you must be out of your mind, or you are bsins about having the marks to get into a US school, now take this forum somewhere else, you going to just get more negative remarks here

thanks andy-

This thread was OBVIOUSLY a joke. Because no one in their right mind I would pick a school based on ocean color, etc. Obvious thread just trying to insinuate. And OBVIOUSLY, caribbean med students would agree with him on the topic.

And as someone had mentioned I suppose people who place in decent programs from the Carib either have connections or B have connections.

I mean the bottom line is this...WHY would you go to a caribbean school to start with? Well...probably because the US schools were out of reach. Thus, by induction one can see which one is superior aka more favorable. So you all do the reasoning, but it's simple logic.

I shoulda let this one go from the start. He was just opening it up for flaming.

later

Originally posted by mountaindew2006
And as someone had mentioned I suppose people who place in decent programs from the Carib either have connections or B have connections.
Your logic is a bit flawed. If a Carib student is so well-connected, why did he have to go down to the Carib in the first place? Shouldn't have his connections landed him a spot in a US school? Or perhaps he made them during his clinical years? If he did, then good for him! If George Bush can use his connections to get into Yale (while he was rejected as an in-state resident at UT Austin), why shouldn?t anyone else?
Originally posted by mountaindew2006
I mean the bottom line is this...WHY would you go to a caribbean school to start with? Well...probably because the US schools were out of reach. Thus, by induction one can see which one is superior aka more favorable. So you all do the reasoning, but it's simple logic.
At first glance, this comment may seem like common sense but nothing could be further than the truth. Forget the Caribbean for a second - does everyone from Harvard get a better residency position than, let's say, Boston University? Both are US schools, both are in the same city, both are private, both cost a ton, but one is clearly more prestigious (guess which one). Having said that, I'm sure EVERY SINGLE YEAR there are people at BU who get dermatology or whatever while some Harvard kid gets rejected. Everyone will still think the Harvard kid is "smarter" (and maybe she is), but the ultimate purpose of medical school is to get into residency (and learn the material, which you can do anywhere - whether at the Harvard library, Starbucks or on the beach somewhere in the Caribbean). Of course anyone would pick Harvard over BU, but Harvard can only improve one's chances at getting into a top residency, not guarantee it. Besides, unless you go to Hopkins or Stanford etc, nobody gets into all the schools they apply to, so everyone is a "reject" to some degree.

I have friends who went to the Caribbean, and I was very skeptical, but they all ended up in US residencies and are doing just fine. Obviously anyone would pick a US allopathic school as their first choice - but why waste time getting a masters or working or doing some other career if you can't get accepted into a US school after 4 years of college? If I didn't get into a US allopathic school after 4 years, I would gladly go to the Caribbean rather than wasting time doing things I hated to improve my CV, without any guarantees of getting in the next year (if ever).

BTW, it's Andy Dufresne not "Dufrane"...as long as we're making fun of Caribbean students.;) Let me guess - is that the Canadian spelling? :p

What they fail to tell you at SGU is you only spend the first year at the nice new campus on the beach. Then you are off to the **** hole part of town thirty miles away for the second year!

Originally posted by ParisHilton
If George Bush can use his connections to get into Yale (while he was rejected as an in-state resident at UT Austin), why shouldn?t anyone else?

I know Bush only applied to Yale and UT and thought he got in both. Could you provide a link to this claim? It is hard to believe that a congressman's son with a decent SAT score (over 1200) could be rejected by a state school.

Don't get me wrong - I like Bush. I heard that he didn't get into UT Austin for undergrad, but this article says he got rejected by their law school. The point I was trying to make is that he relied on his connections, which is what I would do, too. He still managed to get his MBA from Harvard, which I would assume to be harder to get into than the UT Austin Law School.

"Mr. Bush's ambivalence about higher education may stem from his own college experience, several college officials in Texas say. He entered Yale as a "legacy," part of a long family history at the institution that included his father, grandfather, and several uncles. Mr. Bush sometimes jokes on the campaign trail about how little work he did in college, as a history major, and about his mediocre grades. Apparently, they were not good enough for the University of Texas law school, which rejected him two years after he graduated from Yale."

http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i42/42a03201.htm

Originally posted by jarrod_dale
Is it possible to get a good match out of this program? I am asking because I like the location. I think it would make medical school a fun and exciting time. No pressure, and the water is an amazing color. You should check out the website.

http://www.sgu.edu/NewsEvents.nsf/webcontent/A0891F821CCF8B3085256DDA0075748A?OpenDocument

Look at that view!

I am just checking to see if considering that school is wise. I am pretty sure that I am going to get a negative response. I am not an applicant just looking to get into any program, I have the grades and ec's to get into a top 20 school, but I just think it would be cool to spend 4 years down there.

Is it possible to get a great, (ie: orthopeadics) and attend St. georges?

Assuming you're genuinely looking for nice weather, nice beaches, and good options when you graduate, I would look at UH, UC's, USC, and various schools in Florida. I think U Miami is relatively easy to get into (for a US allopathic school) and is low pressure, has nice beaches, and regularly matches people into competitive fields like Derm, Ortho, Neurosurg, or whatever.

If you're just trolling, I'm sorry for giving you what might be considered useful information.

Wow, people on SDN are sensitive.

The question can be reduced down to, is location more important to anyone than matching into a top residency. Thats all.

For all of those who can't get their heads around the fact that anyone who values the location of their medical school, that those sticks out of your a$$e$ and relax.

It doesn't matter to me though, I will be more happier and more successful than you anyway. Check your attitude, and learn to enjoy life.

Sleep tight.

A sucker is born every minute. Grenada is not Hawaii. There are beaches in Haiti that would make you think you were in Maui. That doesn't mean you want to study there. Island life is very difficult. It's not like you will be residing in the Ritz Carlton. You will be living like a native there which means you will be enduring many discomforts.

You want to avoid going to a foreign medical school if you can help it. Sure, you will be fine if you happen to attend one. You will be able to practice medicine in the United States and you score high enough on Step I, you might even get lucky and land something prestigious. However, it's just a pain in the ass for most FMG's, just ask them. They have to endure more bureacracy than anyone. The amount of traveling, paperwork and the harsh living conditions of island life are not worth it in my opinion if you can get into an MD or DO school.

thanks to everyone who had productive posts.