St. George's University Freindly Programs?

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by Chrom0zone, May 28, 2008.

1. Chrom0zone

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been reading this site for some time and it provides great insight to PM&R.
    Thanks to all for the contributions!

I asking for any assistance to find clerkship that also accepts St. George's University grads for residency.
    Even though some programs have SGU grads, but they don't allow our students to rotate through.

It's quite common when trying to schedule an elective to receive the "sorry we don't take foreign students"
    (lol I was born in Oregon, raised in CA and did undergrad at UCSD)

Any SGU Alums here? Or anyone with some any insight or advice?

Thank you everyone for your time and advice.

2. Chrom0zone

Resident [Any Field]
    Come'on guys chime in and give a hand.

3. myrandom2003

myrandom2003 Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think most of the programs in new york are carib friendly... cornell's program will let you rotate there but not for credit... i think they called it an externship or something..

SUNY Downstate will let you rotate there. I think there is a texas program or two that will let you rotate there.

4. drvlad2004

drvlad2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nassau has had St. Georges' students rotate here in the past as well as other Carib program (Saba, Ross, AUC). There will be even one incoming resident from Ross Univ coming into the program. You should not have a huge problem getting a rotation here but the spots fill up fast.

5. Chrom0zone

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you, I know Nassau has a large program, I'll try the SUNY's too.

Great help, thanks again.

6. Jumpu

Jumpu Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Schwab has had students from SGU rotate there, not sure if they received credit though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mehul_25

mehul_25 Dude!!!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    try NRH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    we have a few carib grads here at LSU (including myself from Saba). but even with FMG residents, and one as the assistant chief (me), there's definitely a negative stigma when interview season comes along.
    we do rotations at quite a few hospitals around new orleans and one is "touro infirmary" where we do most of our inpatient rehab months. i know i've seen students from St. Matthews at Touro...and i know they're getting credit for those medicine elective rotations they're doing. can't see why it would be any different for you to rotate with us. BUT, you have to go thru the hospital itself, NOT our LSU program...cuz LSU is another one that doesn't allow "foreign" students to rotate. check it out. good luck.

9. KJKZO

Resident [Any Field]
    I graduated from SGU about a month ago and I am starting at ECU (East Carolina University on tues for PMR Catagorical. I was in NY for clinicals and I set up an elective month at Mount Sinai. It cost me about 500 bucks, but I really liked it, and a letter from Sinai went a long way on all of my interviews. I am not sure whether ECU allows you to do an away rotation, but they accept foreign students.
    Hope that helps, if you need any more info send me a PM.
    Also willing to help a fellow SGU student

KJKZO

10. oyabun

oyabun Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    University of Missouri-Columbia will let foreign grads rotate and apply for residency. I am not a foreign grad but when I was there one of the residents who is now on staff was a foreign grad. They do not have an associated internship program. Need to do internship elsewhere then apply for residency position. Not a big program but the graduates over the past few years who wished to do fellowship, myself included, have obtained pain and spine fellowship positions in well-known programs.

11. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is this where Ebby Varghese is the new Pain Professor? He went to SGU and is now the attending for the PMR-Pain Service.

12. oyabun

oyabun Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Same place. He was the upcoming chief resident the year I finished. Not exactly sure where he went for fellowship. Georgia?

13. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you being funny?

He trained at Emory under the illustrious staff of Georgia Pain Physicians.
    He's a winner and a keeper. But a little slow on the mountain bike.

14. ampaphb

ampaphb Interventional Spine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Isn't that the same bunch of geniuses who hired my personal favorite witch doctor, retained their single most dangerous fellow as staff, and then were not smart enough to recognize your value?

15. oyabun

oyabun Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah, trying to be funny :) But seriously, he's a good guy. Hopefully he can build up the pain program as that was an area that was lacking.