• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

dramy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Athens, GA
Status (Visible)
I can get into an American med school and think I might actually want to give it a go at St. Georges. Is this insane? The opportunity to do my clinical years in the UK and practice internationally is so appealing. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have actually chosen this school OVER a US school and why?

Thoughts? Feelings?

Thanks

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Hell, Norway
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Why wouldn't you just apply to an Irish or English school then? They have good reputations. Trinity college in Dublin is better than some allopathic schools in the states and MUCH better than St. George's in the Carribbean.

dramy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Athens, GA
Status (Visible)
It is virtually impossible to get into a UK or Irish school if one is not British or Irish. St. Georges seems to offer the best opportunity to do clinical years and practice abroad. Getting into an international school is almost an impossibility. If I'm wrong, let me know, but from the research I've done--this is the case.

About the Ads

Squat n Squeeze

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
I heard of a guy who graduated from Saint Georges and then got a job as a gyno with some internet website.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by dramy
I can get into an American med school and think I might actually want to give it a go at St. Georges. Is this insane? The opportunity to do my clinical years in the UK and practice internationally is so appealing. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have actually chosen this school OVER a US school and why?

Thoughts? Feelings?

Thanks

you can practice internationally with your US MD.

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2002
hot town usa
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
First of all, any medical school in the US can send you to do a few rotations in the UK. The only reason carribean medical schools send kids to the UK is because sometimes there are limited # of rotation slots in the US. If too many students want to rotate in the US they are sent to the UK.

Choosing to pursue a medical education, being a US citizen, somewhere other than the US puts you at great disadvantage when competing for residency slots. You will have the last pick, so to speak, and if you do land a competitive residency it will most likely be at a community hospital. You will also have to go through the extra hoops of ecfmg certification and spend mucho dinero moving from hospital to hospital while completing you rotations. FMG=lots of headache.

If you really want to be a general internest or family practitioner going international is fine and will get you there, but you are handycapping yourself in the process. Remember, its only the rest of you career so be sure to make a wise deicision based on future possibilities. Nothing in this world is certain and I see no reason why one would choose to jeapordize that for "fun".

Peace

Tooth

BonBon Doux

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
I heard of a guy who graduated from Saint Georges and then got a job as a gyno with some internet website.

Oh my gosh! Squat n Squeeze is back! We've missed your insightful comments (see above) ;)

BonBon

calflowergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2002
Berkeley
Status (Visible)
About St George med, I think that if you are a good student you have a high chance of getting into a Irish med school directly. The program there is 5 yrs though!

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
Go read the nightmare-ish posts about the carribean schools in the carribean forum of SDN. You don't wanna go there.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by finnpipette
Go read the nightmare-ish posts about the carribean schools in the carribean forum of SDN. You don't wanna go there.
Yea I read those posts. It was sad. Nothing beats bats flying above you while you're trying to watch a movie in the theater.:D

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
I'm more afraid of getting attacked by wild dogs and getting searched by guards for trying to sneak in a PB&J sandwich.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by finnpipette
I'm more afraid of getting attacked by wild dogs.
You're right. Nothing's worse than some wolf knawing on your leg.

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Beantown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A few people have chosen Irish (Atlantic Bridge) schools and Australian schools (U of Sydney or Flinders) over American schools and done quite well. I got accepted to U of Sydney but declined just due to the hassle of being an FMG.

You would be crazy however to choose SGU over a U.S. school. Living in Ireland or Sydney Australia might have an inherent appeal but I doubt Grenada would.

And since the cost of SGU is usually the same or higher than a US school, you are trading good for not as good. If I couldn't be admitted in the US however, I would consider SGU.

mr.pink

Charlie Hustle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2004
UC Berkeley
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Slickness
Yea I read those posts. It was sad. Nothing beats bats flying above you while you're trying to watch a movie in the theater.:D
Amazing how people feel the need to find humor at the expense of others.

meanderson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
Anyone who would consider SGU over an american medical school deserves to give up their spot to somebody else!!!!!!!!!!

It's f***** ridiculous.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by mr.pink
Amazing how people feel the need to find humor at the expense of others.
It was sarcasm. What's wrong with bats flying above you anyway. No one gets harmed either way.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Well I do agree that if you have a chance of getting in to a US or Canadian medical school (no matter which one) you should definetly pick it over SGU or ANY other caribbean school or for that matter international school. The reasons are:

1) licencing will be much easier when you try to practice in the US

2) you have a MUCH better shot at 'competitive' residencies or for that matter any decent residencies graduating from a US medical school.

3) I hate to say this, but unfortunately you will be discriminated against by your colleagues in the future, or other people in the profession after graduation.

4) Well it will cost you more money in the future, namely plane tickets/travel costs during clinicals (moving to different locations) and the licencing process (need the CSA certificate etc...).

HOWEVER, with all that said I personally believe that SGU is a great school and the education is DEFINETLY on par with US allopathic med schools. So if you want a great education and can't get in to a US school than SGU is definetly the right way to go. I'd choose it over Irish schools as it has the same curriculum as the US and grooms you to practice there!

Good Luck regardless of your choices

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.