St. Mary's Long Beach, CA (any thoughts?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moya moya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has rotated or is currently doing a residency at St. Mary's in Long Beach, I would really love some feedback. I know that they offer preliminary medicine there and I would like to apply for a prelim med position next year. I know that prelim med positions are hard to come by and but since St. Mary's is a small, community based hospital (and I noticed from their website that they have a good number of FMG residents), I thought I might have a better shot there than at a bigger institution. However, I have no idea if it's a good program or not, what the atmosphere/environment is like, if the residents are happy, etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who does IM at St. Mary's and he's pretty happy. It's a small community hospital with a fairly sick ICU population, and they also rotate at Harbor for the hard-core county academic feel. The call schedule is not bad, the ancillary services are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent program. I trained there (so I am biased...). Good fellowship match outcomes. New, younger, pro-active Program Director from Harbor trained in PCCM. ICU is still crazy w/ sick patients but the training is superior. Clinically the physicians are some of the best.

Plus, residents rotate almost 6-12mo out of the 3yrs at Harbor UCLA for all the sub-specialties so the academics are good.

I would rec'd this program to anyone that has a proactive personality - lots of autonomy. You have to take initiative. Residents really render the majority of the care for patients throughout the hospital.

Finally, the only training the program has is IM - so no competition for anything. Procedure competency is very high. Central lines, A lines, intubations, para/thoras - you finish IM there ready to do CCM.

Wouldn't recommend it. Dismissed or didn't promote a resident every year for the last 6 years per reports. Do you really want to play russian roulete that you won't be the next one? It's a small program--someone said its like not graduating 10% of your residents.

Wouldn't recommend it. Dismissed or didn't promote a resident every year for the last 6 years per reports. Do you really want to play russian roulete that you won't be the next one? It's a small program--someone said its like not graduating 10% of your residents.
Do you know where I can find this report? Thanks.

What do you think about the prelim program?
Can they survive 4-5 months of ICU?