Stafford sub loan question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evescadeceus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether or not it would be worth it to try applying for the $8500 Stafford sub loan? How much can the folks make before your essentially disqualified from getting any of this subsidized money? Is it very conservative (say, $40,000 a year) or more generous (say, $60,000-$70,000 a year)?

Members don't see this ad.

Amy B said:
My hubby makes way more than the salaries you listed and I was still able to get the $8500 subsidized for the fall. :)
Calculate your EFC and you can get an idea. Also, you don't "apply" for these loans - you fill out the FAFSA and are "awarded" these loans if your cost of attendance is greater than your EFC. However, there are brackets of EFC levels that correspond to how much sub stafford you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. I realize I made an error here (typing too fast at 2am). I meant the Perkins Loans (I think) for which I would have to fill out my folks income on the fafsa. I did my fafsa without their income, but have until June 30 to modify it. I know I should slow down n research this, but I'm going outta town for a month and I'm outta time. So any quick help from the more experienced (and informed) would be totally appreciated.

Perkins? Now that is a different story so you can disregard what I said above. I was never able to secure a Perkins due to salary.