1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

stafford subsidized loans and need

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by Gleevec, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I keep seeing that qualifications for the subsidized Stafford loans is based on need. However, I see no parameters by which "need" is measured. I do have a gap between the yearly cost and EFC, is this gap the "need" they refer to?

The reason I ask is it seems that 95% of med students would get subsidized Stafford if need is merely defined as (Need = Cost - EFC - Student Contribution)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure how they determine who qualifies. I entered into school with a respectable annual salary from 2 jobs, plus I received a substantial scholarship covering half my tuition. I still got the full 8500/year in subsidized loans.

4. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

If you dont mind me asking, how did you know you qualified for the full subsidized loans? Do the schools just take your financial info and send us a financial package optimized for the student?

Thanks!

5. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yea, pretty much. You'll get a proposed financial aid award, or at least I did, during orientation. My school has a great financial aid office. They do a lot of work for students. Basically it's like we get accepted, they get our funding. Hopefully your school is like that as well.