Stage 2 with Bone Graft sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon could I realistically move a patient into stage II?

Pt has 3mm implant on 10, 4mm implant on 12, 5mm implant on #15, and 4mm implant on #28. Bone grafting was required on all sites except 15. Implants were placed in Mid-July. Text-book definition for stage 2 in maxilla is 6 months (especially considering we grafted the sites), but does anyone have experience with going to stage 2 earlier than this? what kind of outcomes did you have?

pt wants her implants restored before christmas which is why i ask...obviously im not going to compromise the implants by prematurely loading them, but i wanted to hear if anyone had other experiences

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what graft materials were used.. if you don't know about the materials, then you need to refer to the person who did the graft

You could monitor the period between placement and loading with the Osstell ISQ. It measures the resonance frequency of the implant. If the ISQ is > 55, you can load the implant.

http://www.osstell.com/osstell-your-guide-to-optimal-implant-loading-decisions/osstell-isq

It seems like it could be good for determining who can have their implant immediately loaded with a CEREC, and who needs to spend a few months with a healing abutment and a Maryland bridge.