stagnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justtesting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
having read a solid number of postings, the general opinion regarding podiatry is that it is a great profession. however most sdn users agree it has its fair share of problems and most of them start with extremely relaxed admission requirements. I do not mean to offend anyone who frequents these forums, but i am too often disappointed when i see someone post a thread stating they have below average gpa, below average mcat, and/or below average other stuff, but then receive tons of replys stating that they should get in if they interview well. not that i dont want them to succeed- because i do, but if do end up going to podiatry school, i do not want to be surrounded by 'below average students.' i hope that doesnt sound mean. it just sounds odd to me that podiatrists are pushing ever so hard to gain respect (and mandating surgery during residency was a great move imo), but i hate to think of all these new foot and ankle surgeons being trained, who were "considered" below average in undergrad studies. Again, i really dont want to offend anyone and i realize that stats arent everything, but they do account for a lot (good GPA & test scores GENERALLY=ability to learn and recall/ ability to understand/ ability to think things through/ ability to rationalize = qualities of a good doctor).
Most everyone has stated that if podiatry were better known and had more applicants, the admission standards would increase also. well according to these links, in the past five years, admission numbers have more than doubled yet the average GPA has actually decreased??? The average MCAT has remained relatively constant but has also seen a decrease since 04??
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/AppStats/Applicant_GPA.pdf
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/AppStats/Applicant_MCAT.pdf

Does anyone else feel the same frustration? why arent we (as a profession) requiring more competitive numbers to gain admission? how will we ever gain respect when our MCAT scores are a solid FIVE points less than even DO schools? :(

please share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I 100% agree. It's pathetic and I do not care if I offend anyone by saying that. However, I do believe that when the new stats for this year come out it will be a bit different (@scholl the avg mcat this year was 27, which is better). However, most of these people who did poorly in undergrad will quickly realize when they attend pod school that it is hard as $h*t and they will probably not do well anyways.

having read a solid number of postings, the general opinion regarding podiatry is that it is a great profession. however most sdn users agree it has its fair share of problems and most of them start with extremely relaxed admission requirements. I do not mean to offend anyone who frequents these forums, but i am too often disappointed when i see someone post a thread stating they have below average gpa, below average mcat, and/or below average other stuff, but then receive tons of replys stating that they should get in if they interview well. not that i dont want them to succeed- because i do, but if do end up going to podiatry school, i do not want to be surrounded by 'below average students.' i hope that doesnt sound mean. it just sounds odd to me that podiatrists are pushing ever so hard to gain respect (and mandating surgery during residency was a great move imo), but i hate to think of all these new foot and ankle surgeons being trained, who were "considered" below average in undergrad studies. Again, i really dont want to offend anyone and i realize that stats arent everything, but they do account for a lot (good GPA & test scores GENERALLY=ability to learn and recall/ ability to understand/ ability to think things through/ ability to rationalize = qualities of a good doctor).
Most everyone has stated that if podiatry were better known and had more applicants, the admission standards would increase also. well according to these links, in the past five years, admission numbers have more than doubled yet the average GPA has actually decreased??? The average MCAT has remained relatively constant but has also seen a decrease since 04??

Does anyone else feel the same frustration? why arent we (as a profession) requiring more competitive numbers to gain admission? how will we ever gain respect when our MCAT scores are a solid FIVE points less than even DO schools? :(

I wouldn't worry about the laxed admissions standards, they are going up...I agree that when this years numbers are out we will already see a change.

Id say that most pod students are not 'below' average. the average GPA for undergraduate students is below a 3.4...most of the people I know graduated with around a 3.0 (Low B) with no sciences classes...and for that matter i know plenty of sci majors that graduated with around a 3.0 as well.

True, many of us are below average compared to MD applicants....so are most OD, DO, PA, PharmD, and some DDS applicants too. But most of the people Ive talked to in my class didnt even apply to MD school, and we are all working pretty damn hard....and loving it. Sure there are a handful of students that are lazy and I can just tell arent intellectually capable of succeeding, but they will be gone soon enough. The students who I hang out with and study with are just as capable as any one of my friends that went to DO programs. The upperclassmen whom ive been able to talk with are very well rounded, smart, and motivated...much like what you would find in any doctoral heath professional program.

Id go and shadow a few practicing DPMs and see just how capable they are, and see a few surgical procedures...

Members don't see this ad :)
True, many of us are below average compared to MD applicants....so are most OD, DO, PA, PharmD, and some DDS applicants too. But most of the people Ive talked to in my class didnt even apply to MD school, and we are all working pretty damn hard....and loving it. Sure there are a handful of students that are lazy and I can just tell arent intellectually capable of succeeding, but they will be gone soon enough. The students who I hang out with and study with are just as capable as any one of my friends that went to DO programs. The upperclassmen whom ive been able to talk with are very well rounded, smart, and motivated...much like what you would find in any doctoral heath professional program.

I agree with hamlinbeach in that a lot of this talk about GPA and MCAT is all in comparison to other programs, specifically MD programs. My feeling is that if someone is so concerned about comparing themselves to MDs or even DOs then maybe they've chosen the wrong field.... I feel that podiatry has some of the most dedicated and motivated students and they seem to be the best at actually INTERACTING with their patients. I find all the talk about DPM vs MD frustrating... is the ultimate goal of DPMs to be an MD? In that case I believe those people have chosen the wrong field.... I am not a "below average" student, I chose podiatry because it is what I wanted to do with my life....

You are right that admissions could be more selective, but attrition rates are fairly high in pod schools. I've posted the stats and you could search for it, but MD programs graduate well over 95% of the students who they accept. Pod programs have significantly higher attrition... my guess would be around one third.

You will have some subpar students when you matriculate pod school, but the vast majority of those students won't be able to hack it, and they'll fail out. By the time you get to 3rd year and start clinic, and definitely by graduation, nearly everyone standing on the stage with you is a hard working, smart student.

Of course some people will make it through the cracks from time to time (in any career field), and some schools are worse about that than others (usually the same schools accepting crummy apps to begin with). By and large, students who make it to graduation day will be pretty solid academically and clinically.

I agree with hamlinbeach in that a lot of this talk about GPA and MCAT is all in comparison to other programs, specifically MD programs. My feeling is that if someone is so concerned about comparing themselves to MDs or even DOs then maybe they've chosen the wrong field.... I feel that podiatry has some of the most dedicated and motivated students and they seem to be the best at actually INTERACTING with their patients. I find all the talk about DPM vs MD frustrating... is the ultimate goal of DPMs to be an MD? In that case I believe those people have chosen the wrong field.... I am not a "below average" student, I chose podiatry because it is what I wanted to do with my life....

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Standards will rise higher.... podiatry is in the same position dentistry was about 10 yrs ago .... starting next yr itll will start with no DATs being accepted .... and yes the number of applicants have doubled ( like you showed) but that number is still not enough to completely raise the standards, this is still a business after all...... until podiatry applications are flooding the admissions desks ( which is pretty soon.... all this talk about DPM/MD...Vision 2015... how they could make salaries in the 200K... and it gaining equality and respect) then the admission standards will raise....

Just a little side note.... currently you can get in easy but that doesnt mean you will continue.... there are a good handful of kids ( about 15-20) who fail out or just give up ( either is class exams or boards) .... but the podiatry schools benefited from that semester's paycheck ...

all very good points.
The main thing to remember though is that you are in control as to how good of a clinician you will become. It is you, and not the other people in the class, that will decide how hard to study and how well you do on your tests and boards. Therefore, in terms of your own success, the MCAT numbers of others in your class has no impact on how good of a job you can do.

Standards will rise higher.... podiatry is in the same position dentistry was about 10 yrs ago .... starting next yr itll will start with no DATs being accepted ....

I am not opposing this statement but do you guys think that if they stop accepting DAT that the average gpa will rise?

Usually dental students have around a 3.5 gpa (i actually didnt look this up so dont quote me, but I know its higher). So if a pre-dental student had a 3.3 and didn't get in and then used pod as a back up (only having taken the DAT) that would mean that those gpa's (average pod gpa is 3.3ish) would dissapear in the next round of applicants. Which to me looks like the gpa's might decrease a little because of the lesser amounts of apps that would be put in front of the admission committee with a 3.3 gpa. I hope that made sense.

There is also the counter argument that students take the DAT to get in because it is much easier than the MCAT.

Standards will rise higher.... podiatry is in the same position dentistry was about 10 yrs ago .... starting next yr itll will start with no DATs being accepted ....

I am not opposing this statement but do you guys think that if they stop accepting DAT that the average gpa will rise?

Usually dental students have around a 3.5 gpa (i actually didnt look this up so dont quote me, but I know its higher). So if a pre-dental student had a 3.3 and didn't get in and then used pod as a back up (only having taken the DAT) that would mean that those gpa's (average pod gpa is 3.3ish) would dissapear in the next round of applicants. Which to me looks like the gpa's might decrease a little because of the lesser amounts of apps that would be put in front of the admission committee with a 3.3 gpa. I hope that made sense.

There is also the counter argument that students take the DAT to get in because it is much easier than the MCAT.

im glad they arent going to take the DAT anymore... the only reason why someone takes that test is:
a. they were too scared about the MCAT and wanted to take the easy way out
b. they wanted to be dentists and were rejected, thus joining pod school because they thought of the two to be comparable. they are not.

so it will force all applicants to man/woman up and take MCAT, and it will reduce the numbers of pod students who really, truly, and sincerely wanted to become dentists and are now disgruntled* or otherwise unhappy with the profession, because as i said, it is not dentistry. its podiatry.

*although, I'm sure that not all dental rejects who are now pod students/clinicians are disappointed with podiatry.

I agree with your statements and concerns but you have to realize that podiatry isn't the only profession with issues. MD/DO/DDS all have their issues as well. All you have to do is browse the other forums and it becomes apparent pretty quickly. But overall, it is a great medical specialty and I'm really glad that I went this route.

first of all, thank you for the respectful reply's. i guess i should have focused my original post on my concern that while applicant numbers are increasing, stats are not moving (which is untrue for other doctoral programs in healthcare). I hope that you are all right when predicting 2008 numbers will change. and i'm not sure whether or not to be comforted regarding the attrition rates... in a way its a good way to weed out the uncapables, but in another sense it would have been nice to do this before starting pod school. i have been told podiatry school is a business and like any other business they have to get their money somehow (admitting just about anyone) but its only perpetuating the dilemma.
I think thats great youre experience with pod students show hard working, successful, and smart students. that is comforting. Now concerning the comparing of DPM to MD students... its not that i gain pleasure in comparing them, but this comes from the way pre reqs are set up. we sit in the exact same classes with them, take the same entrance exam etc. we are both going to a type of medical school, we are both training to be physicians. it seems like we are supposed to be compared with the rest of the students applying to be physicians or why else would they have us take the same test (MCAT) if we werent supposed to be compared with them, couldnt they make a specific podiatry exam like the OD, DDS degrees have done? what i'm saying is the nature of podiatry requiring the MCAT forces pods to be compared with other student physicians. Also, i agree with you that most other health care doctoral degrees cannot match stats with the MD degree, i'm not saying podiatry is the only one, and i do not think we should really care about MD stats, but from frequenting other healthcare forums (OD, DDS, PharmD,) i can tell you podiatry will give far far more encouragement to someone with say a 2.5 gpa and 18 on the MCAT than any of those other fields would to a student with similar stats, maybe that just means pods are more compassionate and encouraging.... which is great :) and podiatry is surely the only one of the above mentioned fields with the average student scoring in the 40thish percentile
-i'm guessing thats what a 21 would equate to since average is around 24/25, [and again because percentiles are based on the other students taking the exam, we are forced to be compared with other student physicians] on their respective entrance exam.
i have shadowed one podiatrist. she was the wife of a friend of mine. she did not have very good things to say about the field. she was probably not the best person to shadow. her favorite things to do deal with were orthotics, runners problems and ingrown toenails. i thought that was weird but whatever. i will definately need to shadow more podiatrists to see the competence that is so highly spoken of. i did email out 10, yes 10, letters today to nearby podiatrists to potentially shadow so hopefully that will prove fruitful.
does anyone remember the seinfeld episode when jerry is talking about how easy it is to get into pod school, how even george could get into pod school? i'm just waiting for the entrance stats to go up so comedians like seinfeld (as much as i love him) not be able to make a whole episode largley based on how easy it is to become a podiatrist.

Last edited:
first of all, thank you for the respectful reply's. i guess i should have focused my original post on my concern that while applicant numbers are increasing, stats are not moving (which is untrue for other doctoral programs in healthcare). I hope that you are all right when predicting 2008 numbers will change. and i'm not sure whether or not to be comforted regarding the attrition rates... in a way its a good way to weed out the uncapables, but in another sense it would have been nice to do this before starting pod school. i have been told podiatry school is a business and like any other business they have to get their money somehow (admitting just about anyone) but its only perpetuating the dilemma.

I think thats great youre experience with pod students show hard working, successful, and smart students. that is comforting. Now concerning the comparing of DPM to MD students... its not that i gain pleasure in comparing them, but this comes from the way pre reqs are set up. we sit in the exact same classes with them, take the same entrance exam etc. we are both going to a type of medical school, we are both training to be physicians. it seems like we are supposed to be compared with the rest of the students applying to be physicians or why else would they have us take the same test (MCAT) if we werent supposed to be compared with them, couldnt they make a specific podiatry exam like the OD, DDS degrees have done? what i'm saying is the nature of podiatry requiring the MCAT forces pods to be compared with other student physicians. Also, i agree with you that most other health care doctoral degrees cannot match stats with the MD degree, i'm not saying podiatry is the only one, but from frequenting other healthcare forums (OD, DDS, PharmD,) i can tell you podiatry will give far far more encouragement to someone with say a 2.5 gpa and 18 on the MCAT than any of those other fields would to a student with similar stats. and podiatry is surely the only one of the above mentioned fields with the average student scoring in the 40thish percentile
(i'm guessing thats what a 21 would equate to) on their respective entrance exam. maybe that just means pods are more compassionate?
i have shadowed one podiatrist. she was the wife of a friend of mine. she did not have very good things to say about the field. she was probably not the best person to shadow. her favorite things to do deal with were orthotics, runners problems and ingrown toenails. i thought that was weird but whatever. i will definately need to shadow more podiatrists to see the competence that is so highly spoken of. i did email out 10, yes 10, letters today to nearby podiatrists to potentially shadow so hopefully that will prove fruitful.
does anyone remember the seinfeld episode when jerry is talking about how easy it is to get into pod school, how even george could get into pod school? i'm just waiting for the entrance stats to go up so comedians like seinfeld (as much as i love him) not be able to make a whole episode largley based on how easy it is to become a podiatrist.

its not

Members don't see this ad :)
youre right, i should have specified that seifelds remarks werent based on how easy it is to become a podiatrist but rather how easy it is to get into podiatry school. my bad.
All you have to do is browse the other forums and it becomes apparent pretty quickly. But overall, it is a great medical specialty and I'm really glad that I went this route.
i'm glad to hear you speak so confidently of the field. i agree that forums have shown other specialties have their problems as well.

all very good points.
The main thing to remember though is that you are in control as to how good of a clinician you will become. It is you, and not the other people in the class, that will decide how hard to study and how well you do on your tests and boards. Therefore, in terms of your own success, the MCAT numbers of others in your class has no impact on how good of a job you can do.

true dat. thanks for the support.

im glad they arent going to take the DAT anymore... the only reason why someone takes that test is:
a. they were too scared about the MCAT and wanted to take the easy way out
b. they wanted to be dentists and were rejected, thus joining pod school
because they thought of the two to be comparable. they are not.

This isn't a fair statement.....

A) I'm not scared of the MCAT.....You act like the DAT is a walk in the park...It's not...Sure, there isn't a physics section, but the QR (math) is pretty hard...

B) Yeah, I originally wanted to be a dentist...Spent most of my military career preparing/working in the dental community...I wasn't rejected......Even received interviews (@ Baylor) which I declined...Why???----Well, I fell in :love: with podiatry instead...

Do I feel that I could've went to dental school if I woulda went to my interviews?---Who knows...But, I chose podiatry b/c it's just plain cooler..

This isn't a fair statement.....

A) I'm not scared of the MCAT.....You act like the DAT is a walk in the park...It's not...Sure, there isn't a physics section, but the QR (math) is pretty hard...

B) Yeah, I originally wanted to be a dentist...Spent most of my military career preparing/working in the dental community...I wasn't rejected......Even received interviews (@ Baylor) which I declined...Why???----Well, I fell in :love: with podiatry instead...

Do I feel that I could've went to dental school if I woulda went to my interviews?---Who knows...But, I chose podiatry b/c it's just plain cooler..

regardless, all applicants should be taking the same test, and in a year they will not accept the DAT anymore...which I think is a good thing- the president of the APMA just wrote a little bit about the Vision 2015 in JAPMA, and described the strives we've taken, standardizing curricula was one of them. if our curricula are standardized, we should not accept DAT or GRE

Last edited:
i'm just waiting for the entrance stats to go up so comedians like seinfeld (as much as i love him) not be able to make a whole episode largley based on how easy it is to become a podiatrist.

Have you seen the "pimple popper MD" episode (making fun of derm)???:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But seriously, I hope you realize that while some of the programs are pretty easy to get into, they are not easy to get through.

Have you seen the "pimple popper MD" episode (making fun of derm)???:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But seriously, I hope you realize that while some of the programs are pretty easy to get into, they are not easy to get through.

thats one of the things that keeps me interested. i really do want podiatry school to be challenging. challenging usually = rewarding.

and derms are not pimple poppers... they save lives...
Jerry: You call yourself a lifesaver. I call you pimple popper MD!
[A man comes to the table.]
Parry: Dr. Sitarides?
Sara: Mr. Parry, how are you?
Parry: I just wanted to thank you again for saving my life.
Jerry: She saved your life?
Parry: I had skin cancer.
Jerry: Skin cancer! Damn. :laugh:

thats one of the things that keeps me interested. i really do want podiatry school to be challenging. challenging usually = rewarding.

and derms are not pimple poppers... they save lives...
Jerry: You call yourself a lifesaver. I call you pimple popper MD!
[A man comes to the table.]
Parry: Dr. Sitarides?
Sara: Mr. Parry, how are you?
Parry: I just wanted to thank you again for saving my life.
Jerry: She saved your life?
Parry: I had skin cancer.
Jerry: Skin cancer! Damn. :laugh:

As is the case with "pimple popper MD", no one ever speaks of the end of the podiatry episode:

“The Conversion” Season 5
Elaine: I don’t know. We got into this whole thing about how podiatrists aren’t real doctors.
Jerry: How could you say that?
Elaine: It’s you fault. You just got me thinking.
Jerry: I was merely speaking extemporaneously.
Elaine: I’ve got nothing against the foot. I’m pro-foot.
Jerry: Me too.
Elaine: Do you think I should call him and apologize?
Jerry: Yes. He’s a doctor.

We can all sleep better now that Jerry Seinfeld says we are doctors! :laugh:

. I hope that you are all right when predicting 2008 numbers will change. and i'm not sure whether or not to be comforted regarding the attrition rates... in a way its a good way to weed out the uncapables, but in another sense it would have been nice to do this before starting pod school.
Most students (even those with Mcats below 26) work very hard and are serious about learning. No one wants to the doctor who does not know what there doing, or the guy who no one will send their friends too.

Pod school is not easy, you have to work hard to succeed. The problem is that most people do not know much about Podiatry,
Thus APMA needs to work on informing college advisers about the field. If undergrads knew that you could get a pretty good income as a podiatrist, many would apply.

Last edited:
"We can all sleep better now that Jerry Seinfeld says we are doctors! :laugh: "

Yeah, Seinfeld is the final authority on everything... lol

below average mcat does not mean below average students...below average students have poor GPA, little to no ECs, piss poor personal statement etc...GPA says a lot

But that will make you look like a Supa Star:cool:.

:laugh: yeah, it'll be just like that time i got held back two grades and got to sit with the fourth graders when i shouldve been in sixth grade.... supa star. :laugh:

below average mcat does not mean below average students...below average students have poor GPA, little to no ECs, piss poor personal statement etc...GPA says a lot

im not sure if youre trying to disagree with the original post or just voicing your opinion, but either way, yes GPA does say a lot. perhaps i could have specified more in the beginning, but my biggest complaint is students with low gpa AND low MCAT and/or low other stuff that still get in. having either a high gpa or mcat proves that they are competent in one way or another. im not feeling as compassionate today as i was the day i started this thread, but sometimes i just get sick of the posts we see about once a week where someone who has a 2.5 gpa and a ~18MCAT wants to know their chances of going to podiatry school. then people post stories that start with " i know a guy who had a ___ gpa and a ___ MCAT and got into three schools, so you should be fine" thats all.

b. they wanted to be dentists and were rejected, thus joining pod school because they thought of the two to be comparable. they are not.

so it will force all applicants to man/woman up and take MCAT, and it will reduce the numbers of pod students who really, truly, and sincerely wanted to become dentists and are now disgruntled* or otherwise unhappy with the profession, because as i said, it is not dentistry. its podiatry.

*although, I'm sure that not all dental rejects who are now pod students/clinicians are disappointed with podiatry.

I agree with your point about dental school rejects. It makes sense. but we also have a good number of "Medical School rejects". These are MD wannabes who cudnt make it to medical school after trying for few years or had lower mcat gpa stats. After failing to secure admission in med school they decided to join Pod school.

It doesnt matter if Pod school has 2.0 GPA requirement or 20 MCAT minimum. The essence is that people should join the school or profession only because they like it. It shouldnt become a backup option for dental or medical school rejects. It is sending wrong signals to other professions and students.Some think Podiatry is a backup option incase one gets rejected from med or dental school :-(.

What should we be doing about this situation?

Last edited:
I agree with your point about dental school rejects. It makes sense. but we also have a good number of "Medical School rejects". These are MD wannabes who cudnt make it to medical school after trying for few years or had lower mcat gpa stats. After failing to secure admission in med school they decided to join Pod school.

It doesnt matter if Pod school has 2.0 GPA requirement or 20 MCAT minimum. The essence is that people should join the school or profession only because they like it. It shouldnt become a backup option for dental or medical school rejects. It is sending wrong signals to other professions and students.Some think Podiatry is a backup option incase one gets rejected from med or dental school :-(.

What should we be doing about this situation?

spending all our time posting on sdn...lol

It doesnt matter if Pod school has 2.0 GPA requirement or 20 MCAT minimum. The essence is that people should join the school or profession only because they like it.

i must disagree with this. podiatry school is comparable to medical school. we are trained to be surgeons. we are trying to gain equality with other phycisians in terms of compensation and hosptial privileges. It absolulety does matter if pod school has 2.0 gpa requirement. Not everyone is meant to be a doctor, its something you have to work hard for and earn. anyone getting crappy grades in undergrad needs to reconsider just how bad they want it. low pod school admission requirements have hurt the profession in the past and thats one thing most people agree should change.

i must disagree with this. podiatry school is comparable to medical school. we are trained to be surgeons. we are trying to gain equality with other phycisians in terms of compensation and hosptial privileges. It absolulety does matter if pod school has 2.0 gpa requirement. Not everyone is meant to be a doctor, its something you have to work hard for and earn. anyone getting crappy grades in undergrad needs to reconsider just how bad they want it. low pod school admission requirements have hurt the profession in the past and thats one thing most people agree should change.

Ofcourse it should change. But it really doesnt matter if school accepts people with low stats. Remember joining pod school might be easy but surviving Pod school is very very hard. Student has to be passionate about the profession and hardworking. If that low stats student still continues to be getting lower stats then he/she will not be there next year. Pod schools (atleast scholl and dmu) are very strict about grades and classes. You cannot fail more than 2 classes.

Its very important that we get students who are passionate about the profession.

Its very important that we get students who are passionate about the profession.

although we obviously dont agree on everything, but i can give a :thumbup: to that. i still think youre crazy though for saying it doesnt matter if pod schools accept people with low stats. what kind of image are we trying to portray to the rest of the medical community. despite all the passion in the world, i would still be uneasy knowing any doctor of mine was a poor student.

Last edited:
I agree about passion. But just like volunteering/shadowing or spending time running around observing podiatrists, all the "passion" in the world without the academic "prowess" to succeed will mean zero.

I agree about passion. But just like volunteering/shadowing or spending time running around observing podiatrists, all the "passion" in the world without the academic "prowess" to succeed will mean zero.

:rolleyes: