• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I am a non-traditional student, and I have noticed some schools have expiration dates for prerequisite courses. Since I have been out of undergraduate school for a few years, I am wondering whether a master's degree coursework is significant enough to give them updated data/grades. I exhausted my school's undergraduate science catalog (more or less) and don't want to retake classes hence graduate level courses. Also of relevance is that I am NOT using this for grade repair. I need fresh material. Any thoughts?

Nov 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I also applied as a nontrad and found that the vast majority of schools where I applied had no course expiration policies. There are exceptions where courses do expire after ten or so years (Columbia, Cornell, and Brown come to mind). Other schools have no expiration but require some recent coursework, regardless of the discipline, while others specifically require recent science coursework. I found that I had to ask each school individually what their policy was regarding graduate coursework completed in an allied field. Some said that it satisfied their recent coursework requirement while others wanted a recent undergraduate science course. (Also, the vast majority of schools had no stated preference or requirement, but I definitely got the sense that taking an undergrad course in something like biochem or molecular biology would be wise.)

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I am a non-traditional student, and I have noticed some schools have expiration dates for prerequisite courses. Since I have been out of undergraduate school for a few years, I am wondering whether a master's degree coursework is significant enough to give them updated data/grades. I exhausted my school's undergraduate science catalog (more or less) and don't want to retake classes hence graduate level courses. Also of relevance is that I am NOT using this for grade repair. I need fresh material. Any thoughts?
I also applied as a nontrad and found that the vast majority of schools where I applied had no course expiration policies. There are exceptions where courses do expire after ten or so years (Columbia, Cornell, and Brown come to mind). Other schools have no expiration but require some recent coursework, regardless of the discipline, while others specifically require recent science coursework. I found that I had to ask each school individually what their policy was regarding graduate coursework completed in an allied field. Some said that it satisfied their recent coursework requirement while others wanted a recent undergraduate science course. (Also, the vast majority of schools had no stated preference or requirement, but I definitely got the sense that taking an undergrad course in something like biochem or molecular biology would be wise.)
The age of coursework is not an admissions issue; it is a pre-matriculation issue. Medical schools do not typically check prerequisites until you have taken up an offer of acceptance. Here you then submit your official transcripts directly to the medical school for that purpose

The minority fraction of medical schools that note "stale" courses usually look at older academic work in two different ways

1) coursework older than 5 years must be accompanied by more recent academic work. Here graduate work is acceptable

Course Requirements | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Applicants who have completed all of their pre-medical course requirements five years prior to the time of application must show evidence of participation in either academic or work experience in the biological sciences. Academic experience should include at least one course in a discipline such as cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology or neuroscience. Work experience may include research in the biological or physical sciences or clinical investigation.

2) coursework more than 10 years old. These all specifically say prerequisite and therefore you cannot assume graduate work will suffice. Any information you get from the medical school now is just guidance and not a formal decision. You would have to request and be granted a waiver during pre-matriculation. Since this is timing of a course rather than the lack of a course, and recent graduate academic work as well as MCAT score would show competency, it would likely be granted.

https://medicaleducation.weill.cornell.edu/admissions/faqs
All prerequisite courses must have been completed within 10 years of application, and we prefer that prerequisite courses in biology be taken within five years of application.

Application Requirements
All prerequisite courses must have been completed within 10 years of application. We prefer that prerequisite courses in biology be taken within five years of application.

Requirements and Criteria
Applicants must have completed the majority of the premedical course requirements within the previous 10 years

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.