Stale Course Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNAJB6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student, and I have noticed some schools have expiration dates for prerequisite courses. Since I have been out of undergraduate school for a few years, I am wondering whether a master's degree coursework is significant enough to give them updated data/grades. I exhausted my school's undergraduate science catalog (more or less) and don't want to retake classes hence graduate level courses. Also of relevance is that I am NOT using this for grade repair. I need fresh material. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied as a nontrad and found that the vast majority of schools where I applied had no course expiration policies. There are exceptions where courses do expire after ten or so years (Columbia, Cornell, and Brown come to mind). Other schools have no expiration but require some recent coursework, regardless of the discipline, while others specifically require recent science coursework. I found that I had to ask each school individually what their policy was regarding graduate coursework completed in an allied field. Some said that it satisfied their recent coursework requirement while others wanted a recent undergraduate science course. (Also, the vast majority of schools had no stated preference or requirement, but I definitely got the sense that taking an undergrad course in something like biochem or molecular biology would be wise.)

Reactions: 1 users