Stanford (~COA) vs Vanderbilt (MIDP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chlorine857

Reaction score
I feel super lucky with both of these acceptances, even though Stanford is ranked higher, the special program at Vandy gives me access to venture capitalists and special mentorship to use my engineering PhD to be a "physician-innovator" so that levels the playing field some. I'm having a hard time turning down either (especially without seeing either school in person). My dream is to be a physician-scientist at a cancer center like Sloan Kettering or UCSF working in a big city. I am from the south, but don't want to stay in the south forever. I would prefer a more socially active med school class, but I have no idea about either of these places.

Stanford
Pros
- California (sunshine, no rain, access to the beach, etc)
- Academic culture (Silicon Valley & Nobel Prize Winners)
- advantage for residencies at big-name places (?)
- supposedly "debt-free" financial aid full tuition + financial aid grants (not quite full COA)
- opportunities for teaching & continuing research

Cons
- high cost of living
- pretentious/competitive students (?)
- suburbs & traffic
- wealthy patient population

Vanderbilt (Medical Innovator Development Program)
Pros

- Special mentoring with MIDP
- full-tuition scholarship
- condensed curriculum & true P/F clerkships
- more urban, potentially meaning more underserved population
- nearby family & more connections to school

Cons
- still going into debt for housing/food/etc
- still probably pretentious/competitive classmates
- less priority for residencies on the east coast or west coast
- southern culture

I would love to hear any opinions on these schools in terms of their student culture & opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both seem like great options. You likely know better than I do, but Stanford + VC seems like a natural fit. You really can't go wrong - you will match strong coming out of both.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have full tuition scholarship at Stanford ?
I dont know about financial aid yet, so it still could be alot of money. I have zero family contribution, and supposedly Stanford could give full COA grants in that situation, but without seeing the package I cant assume anything. (on the scholarship front, I dont have Knight Hennesy)

Update: I got full tuition and a living stipend at Stanford for my financial aid package. I'm still gonna have to take out small loans, but it's cheaper than Vanderbilt so I think my decision has been made for me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user