Stanford Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a choice of doing either a 4 week general anesthesia rotation at the
Palo Alto VA or a 2 week general anesthesia/2 week acute pain management at Stanford Med Center. Anyone know which would be the better experience? which would be better for LOR? for audition purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

Cynn said:
I have a choice of doing either a 4 week general anesthesia rotation at the
Palo Alto VA or a 2 week general anesthesia/2 week acute pain management at Stanford Med Center. Anyone know which would be the better experience? which would be better for LOR? for audition purposes?

I was there just a week ago to learn about their gas program. I met with two of their professors, one who is a pain management doc and sits on the residency selection committee. These guys were great, very nice, friendly, and helpful. I can tell you that if you work there at the main hospital in the pain clinic, you certainly can get important letters. Just not sure about the 2-weeks because it may not be enough to really impress them.

As for the VA, I wasn't there, so I can't help you. But, it certainly should be just as good, especially with a 4-week rotation.

Why would you go all the way there only to rotate at a VA? If you're going to palo alto, GO to palo alto. Sure they're affiliated, but it's a VA with many separate attendings and a different chair. My vote is for stanford. Meet Ron Pearl, get a letter, and meet some great residents.

my take on things from a previous thread on the same topic...