Stanford vs. Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdprospect2024

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am shocked and grateful for my success this cycle, and I am deciding between my two top schools: Stanford and Harvard (pathways). I have received my financial aid package from both schools, and the costs will be approximately the same. I have some family in California and don’t have any in Boston. I also prefer the warm weather. I went to college in New York so I do have friends on the East Coast. In the future, would probably prefer to match on the West Coast but it’s not a HUGE edge for Stanford because I think coming from HMS I could probably match on either cost. I'm interested in three different competitive specialties. Here are my initial thoughts:

Stanford:

Pros:
  • Love the flexibility afforded by the curriculum here.. many people get involved in research early on and can also customize when/where they do rotations. Also, don’t have to go to class every day (like HMS).
  • Step 1 + Step 2 flexibility: Take, essentially, whenever you want
  • Amazing clinical research opportunities
  • Match list is fantastic, a little more West Coast centric
  • Interview day was great, got to interact with a lot of students (more important now because second looks are only virtual)
  • Medical school connected to the undergraduate campus, love the connectedness of the campus
  • Weather: love to hike and there are great outdoor opportunities
  • Much smaller class size (90 as opposed to 165 at HMS)
Cons:
  • Palo Alto not as vibrant a city as Boston
  • Not as much of a home field advantage when it comes to matching (almost half Harvard people stay at Harvard hospitals for residency)
  • Not as many research powerhouse hospitals as Harvard
  • Stanford is #4 vs. Harvard #1 on USNWR rankings

Harvard:

Pros
  • Prestige (but is the Harvard H going to get me that many more opportunities than the Stanford S?)
  • More clinical experience, clerkships are during your 2nd year which gives more time on the back end to do what you want
  • Fantastic research opportunities at 4+ major teaching hospitals
  • Match list is fantastic
  • Boston
Cons:
  • Don’t love the 14 month accelerated pre-clinical curriculum in the sense that it’s harder to get involved with research early on. Would probably have to wait to start research until 3rd year (after clerkships)
  • Very little flexibility in the first year. Have class every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8-12:30 and 9-5 on Wednesday. Don’t know if that’s the best way for me to learn and retain knowledge
  • Weather (don’t love the cold)
  • Housing: Don’t love the idea of living in a dorm at Vanderbilt Hall
  • Medical school is detached from undergraduate campus

Looking for any advice in helping me make my decision!

Members don't see this ad.

you can match on either coast from Harvard or Stanford. You have way more pros for Stanford and it sounds like you like it there more overall/would be happier there. I'd go to Stanford

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds to me like you prefer Stanford but are afraid to turn down the big Harvard name. I'd go to Stanford.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also threw my vote in for Stanford. Sounds like you'll like it more there.

Reactions: 2 users