Stanford vs. Scheie / U Penn??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thunderkiss65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had an interview set up at Scheie and of course I get an e-mail today saying that I have just gotten off the waiting list for Stanford for the same day. Where should I go?
Bottom line question: would I be silly to give up an interview at a wonderful program in order to attend one for which I was originally waitlisted?

My strength lies in my past research and I think that is why I was invited to Scheie despite having a so-so Step 1 score. I want to continue clinical research and stay in academia which Scheie would be wonderful for, but there was always a great vibe I got from Stanford where people work hard but still seem mellow and happy. However, coming off of Stanford's waitlist, I am afraid that I'll already have that bias of being waitlisted against me when I go to interview. I don't know if this is true or not.

I want to make this decision as quickly as possible (today) because I know there is a line for these spots, so please help me tell me what you think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've had an interview set up at Scheie and of course I get an e-mail today saying that I have just gotten off the waiting list for Stanford for the same day. Where should I go?
Bottom line question: would I be silly to give up an interview at a wonderful program in order to attend one for which I was originally waitlisted?

My strength lies in my past research and I think that is why I was invited to Scheie despite having a so-so Step 1 score. I want to continue clinical research and stay in academia which Scheie would be wonderful for, but there was always a great vibe I got from Stanford where people work hard but still seem mellow and happy. However, coming off of Stanford's waitlist, I am afraid that I'll already have that bias of being waitlisted against me when I go to interview. I don't know if this is true or not.

I want to make this decision as quickly as possible (today) because I know there is a line for these spots, so please help me tell me what you think? Thanks!

Just curious, which date have you been offered?

I also just received an offer from UCI off the waitlist...what's the point of interviewing there if I am going to be at the bottom of their rank list? I'm in the same boat as you...look forward to hearing others thoughts...

I dont think there is a bias against people interviewed off the waitlist. If they want to interview you, then they are thinking about you seriously.

However, my impression is that Stanford is not very active in research and does not produce many academics. Its a great program where people are well trained, but probably not the same academic atmosphere you can expect from Scheie.

it sounds like you want to go to stanford. they don't interview that many people so the numbers are good (though they don't take that many residents either). go where you think you might be happy. if you are a good resident you should be able to be a faculty member somewhere post-fellowship.