Stanford vs. UC Davis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on Stanford vs. UC Davis? I've only heard great things about UC Davis, but can't seem to find much recent info on Stanford's program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if it is too late and you have submitted your rank list, but I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about UCDavis, just pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few years ago they were pretty equal, but Stanford is the better residency now (and will be the better residency for awhile). I have friends in both departments, so I have some idea what is going on (I interviewed at both places a few years ago and I have friends who matched there) although my residency isn't on the west coast.

Stanford is a step behind UCLA, Casey, USCF but I think with all the changes taking place at Stanford, the expansion of the residency, the addition of new faculty, etc its going to be on that top tier soon. Loma Linda and UCD seem like the two weakest on the west coast from what I have heard from my friends in California--basically they operate like community programs like CPMC, although CPMC provides as better experience than both.

Stanford is really expanding and has a VA, an academic hospital, and a county--which makes for complete training and surgical experience. Historically not a very strong residency, but they are really dedicated to pushing Stanford's ophthalmology ahead and improving it. They are hiring new faculty in peds, neuro-op, retina, plastics and it seems like they are trying to attract really top rate talent (some of my "established" senior attendings have talked people interviewing there). Cornea, neuro-op, plastics are smaller/weaker but that should be different in 2-3 years because they are hiring a lot and trying to improve (and probably adding new fellowships too). There seems to be a real dedication to making this a top academic ophthalmology location as well as a top residency training program.
My friends who are there really seem excited about all the changes that are coming.

There was another comment on SDN about how UCD doesn't care about their residents (in the thread about each program), and that is what I have heard. It does not seem like a malignant place where attendings physically attack you, but I head its not very supportive either--the residents are just there to see patients and be in attending clinics. It is a pretty small program (probably a little smaller than Stanford now, but Stanford is also expanding a lot). I heard the surgical experience isn't that good (average-to-good numbers for some things, but very low in several others). It seems more similar to some community programs I saw on the interview trail. I heard the teaching is not very good--seems like the residents I know there are just waiting out the clock until they leave. The overall impression from talking to current residents I know there is that its a pretty lifeless department.

Both places are obviously a mixed bag, some good attendings and some not as good attendings and if you work hard you'll be a qualified ophthalmologist after going to any residency, but for this question between Stanford and UCD, I think Stanford really is the better and overall should be considered (for anyone applying now) a top west coast option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user