Stanford vs. UCSF vs. UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know Ben. He is awesome. Will be good as PD. A UCSD grad himself - he knows the way.

Lee wasn’t a popular choice for that roll amongst the residents when he took over. Good clinician and human, but a departure from from the attitude and culture of his predecessors. I think Beal will bring back some of the classic culture/attitude that made UCSD what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, it's always "hey do you want to do _____, would be a nice thing to add to your CV!".

I've literally never seen someone at my institution say "hey, I really think we can make a positive change with this. Do you want to be involved?"

Lets be real here. Humans will act in accordance with incentives. If you need me to produce 6 publications and sit on 3 committees and give 2 grand rounds at outside institutions while writing 4 protocols in order to get promoted and gain $40k and 3 days of additional leave ... you will get exactly that. Most of the stuff academics (myself included) put out is fluff work. Why? Because the real work takes a long time and isn't compensated. No compensation = not doing it. I ain't working for free on my weekends and weeknights.

Don't fault the individuals, but rather fault the system. With the state of medicine, it comes down to the bottom line. There is very little room for "academics" who get paid full wages while getting 2 days off to become experts and drive the advancement of the field. You want 2 days off, go down to 0.6 full time employee and 60% wages. If you unpair the promotion from the volume game of publishing massive garbage and you will get academic docs who are willing to spend 3-4 years truly researching and doing good clinical studies. Until then, enjoy the numbers game.

"It looks good on your CV" they told me. No thanks. My husband and kids have weekend hiking plans.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lets be real here. Humans will act in accordance with incentives. If you need me to produce 6 publications and sit on 3 committees and give 2 grand rounds at outside institutions while writing 4 protocols in order to get promoted and gain $40k and 3 days of additional leave ... you will get exactly that. Most of the stuff academics (myself included) put out is fluff work. Why? Because the real work takes a long time and isn't compensated. No compensation = not doing it. I ain't working for free on my weekends and weeknights.

Don't fault the individuals, but rather fault the system. With the state of medicine, it comes down to the bottom line. There is very little room for "academics" who get paid full wages while getting 2 days off to become experts and drive the advancement of the field. You want 2 days off, go down to 0.6 full time employee and 60% wages. If you unpair the promotion from the volume game of publishing massive garbage and you will get academic docs who are willing to spend 3-4 years truly researching and doing good clinical studies. Until then, enjoy the numbers game.

"It looks good on your CV" they told me. No thanks. My husband and kids have weekend hiking plans.
Yes, the "improve your CV" game has zero appeal to me.

Reactions: 1 user

DuZ99xYX4AEqPo8

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Hell my place won't reimburse for ACLS or give a day off for it, so guess whether people tend to be ACLS certified or not... and they sure as hell aren't rewarded in any way for publishing.