Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housecleaning

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an acceptance email from Stanford for their MS in biological sciences program. But no financial support. It was a last minute application after I received my GRE scores (all subjects >80%). I'm trying to decide whether to start Stanford's program & apply to PhD programs, or just sit out a year & apply to PhD programs...

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

To me it seems that it really matters on what your ultimate goals are. If it is to improve your chances for med school, then you might as well just go for the MS at the best school you can get into and do well. If your ultimate goal is a Ph.D. you might want to consider waiting a year, and applying for Ph.D. programs as you will get full funding. Another downside, is that some Ph.D. programs will give you advance standing with a MS, but for most top programs you'll end up having to start as if you were a first year. You should talk to the people at Stanford and see if there is any possibilty of you getting funding from various sources, (ie RA, TA positions ect). Does the MS program allow you to continue on for a Ph.D., or will you be in the same application boat in two years, just with more debt? Also with your GREs you might have a good chance for a NSF or Department of Defence Fellowship (although a lot more goes into those applications, and you would have to wait until next year to apply). If Stanford is where you want to be, and you can afford it, go for it, but keep in mind that by waiting a year you could save yourself a ton of money, but I wouldn't give up all hope on finding funding yet. Another school to look into in the Bay area that I believe has a biological MS program with funding is USF. If you don't go, I would recommend doing some sort of science research in the time between now and next fall when you apply for Ph.D. programs; heck that way you could earn money instead of paying for it, in addition to increasing your future applications chances as taking some time off between school can be seen as a good thing to adcoms. Anway Congrats on the acceptance!

housecleaning said:
So I got an acceptance email from Stanford for their MS in biological sciences program. But no financial support. It was a last minute application after I received my GRE scores (all subjects >80%). I'm trying to decide whether to start Stanford's program & apply to PhD programs, or just sit out a year & apply to PhD programs...

Any advice?

Thanks kermit. My goal is to get a PhD, not go to med school. I really wouldn't be considering the Stanford M.S. at all, except for its incredible reputation. I'm wondering whether an M.S. from Stanford will help in the future, even if I go to a lower ranked school for a PhD. e.g., will I be more competitive for an NSF fellowship, NIH grant, etc.?

kermitdfrog said:
To me it seems that it really matters on what your ultimate goals are. If it is to improve your chances for med school, then you might as well just go for the MS at the best school you can get into and do well. If your ultimate goal is a Ph.D. you might want to consider waiting a year, and applying for Ph.D. programs as you will get full funding. Another downside, is that some Ph.D. programs will give you advance standing with a MS, but for most top programs you'll end up having to start as if you were a first year. You should talk to the people at Stanford and see if there is any possibilty of you getting funding from various sources, (ie RA, TA positions ect). Does the MS program allow you to continue on for a Ph.D., or will you be in the same application boat in two years, just with more debt? Also with your GREs you might have a good chance for a NSF or Department of Defence Fellowship (although a lot more goes into those applications, and you would have to wait until next year to apply). If Stanford is where you want to be, and you can afford it, go for it, but keep in mind that by waiting a year you could save yourself a ton of money, but I wouldn't give up all hope on finding funding yet. Another school to look into in the Bay area that I believe has a biological MS program with funding is USF. If you don't go, I would recommend doing some sort of science research in the time between now and next fall when you apply for Ph.D. programs; heck that way you could earn money instead of paying for it, in addition to increasing your future applications chances as taking some time off between school can be seen as a good thing to adcoms. Anway Congrats on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
A schools reputation can definitely help, but what is ultimately more important is who you worked with (thesis advisor), and what you published (very important). If you do choose to go to Stanford make sure to do research there (and ideally publish and/or present the work), as that is the most crucial thing you can do to help you get into a top Ph.D. program, and eventually get a great job (keep in mind that you can go to an unranked program and just as easily compete for that same job). Terminal masters programs aren’t always the best option for people that are trying to get their Ph.D, as you just end up having to take a bunch of classes that you wouldn’t necessarily need in your Ph.D. program, and really not saving much if any time. If you have a GPA of at least 3.0 and some good recommendations along with some research experience (it doesn’t have to be anything major, an undergrad project or working in a lab for a quarter would be fine, but some is usually desired if not required), your GREs, and an awesome personal statement, you should have little problem getting interviews at top Ph.D. programs next year without going to Stanford and getting your MS. My theory is why pay for your education, if by waiting one year you can get not only full tuition, but also health insurance in addition to a living stipend. What is going to make you competitive for funding is your letters of recommendation and your research experience along with any publications you may have or get in grad school. A school’s reputation can only take you so far, as the “wow” factor quickly wears off if you don’t have things like excellent rec’s and research to back it up. I know where you’re coming from as I wanted to start working on my Ph.D. path right away, but taking some time off and getting some good research experience (and getting paid for it, instead of paying for it), made it very easy for me to get into an Ivy League school, a year after graduating from a public university. If you feel you won’t be happy unless you’re in a “big name” school, then go to Stanford or try to get in one next year, but don’t believe or let anyone tell you that just because you aren’t in Stanford, Harvard, Princeton or MIT that your program is any less, or would prevent you from going after the same opportunities. A lot of Nobel Prize winners went to and teach at lesser known schools, they just had good research, which is the most important thing when going for that Ph.D. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and I’m sure you’ll make the decision that is BEST FOR YOU.

housecleaning said:
Thanks kermit. My goal is to get a PhD, not go to med school. I really wouldn't be considering the Stanford M.S. at all, except for its incredible reputation. I'm wondering whether an M.S. from Stanford will help in the future, even if I go to a lower ranked school for a PhD. e.g., will I be more competitive for an NSF fellowship, NIH grant, etc.?

I think if I were you I would wait a year and apply for the PhD program. This way you can go to school and get a stipend :) If you are already in the bay area you might look into getting a job at genentech or one of the many, many, many biotech companies in the area. Alot of biotech companies have connections with major universities. I worked for genelabs in redwood city and through my boss there, ended up where I am now (4th yr grad student, hopefully soon to be phd). Anyway, I've learned the hard way, and far too many times, do not take shortcuts. They end up taking longer overall. Also, if you already live in the bay area then you know how much housing costs around there :eek: You will need a stipend so you can eat and concentrate on your research. Best of luck to you what ever you decide.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. You make excellent points, and give me some good ideas. I think I'll probably go ahead & go for the MS, and study for the GRE subject test as a couple of phd programs that I'm shooting for require it (UCSF, stanford).

jv, i shot you a pm.

housecleaning said:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. You make excellent points, and give me some good ideas. I think I'll probably go ahead & go for the MS, and study for the GRE subject test as a couple of phd programs that I'm shooting for require it (UCSF, stanford).

jv, i shot you a pm.
i am interested in the MS at stanford and i was wondering if u ended up going there. if so, do u mind telling me what the program is like? how much is tuition? how successful are students in being accepted into med school? thanks