start date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On frieda most of them say june or july. does this mean beginning of june or july or end? I know its probably different from program to program, but any current residents have any information (do not have to state school, just whether its at the start or the end.

I posted this on IM board too, but I know I'll get more responses here. Actually have some friends in IM wanting to know too, so moderator please don't close this thread!
 
JackBauERfan said:
On frieda most of them say june or july. does this mean beginning of june or july or end? I know its probably different from program to program, but any current residents have any information (do not have to state school, just whether its at the start or the end.

I posted this on IM board too, but I know I'll get more responses here. Actually have some friends in IM wanting to know too, so moderator please don't close this thread!

At MCW all residencies start their internship year on July 1st. That's the first day they actually work as a doctor. Everyone has 2 weeks of orientation at the end of June, though, so it's not like you're really starting in July.
 
I guess it certainly depends on the program. I matched at Lehigh Valley (osteopathic) EM program. We start with orientation, cert class, etc. on June 12. Start date in hospital June 24th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most people I have talked to say they start officially July 1st. I think that's when all insurances and malpractice coverage begins. Some people, however, have to report a week or two early to get certifications out of the way. e.g ACLS, PALS, etc.
 
drdrtoledo said:
Most people I have talked to say they start officially July 1st. I think that's when all insurances and malpractice coverage begins. Some people, however, have to report a week or two early to get certifications out of the way. e.g ACLS, PALS, etc.

thanks a lot for the replies. just trying to see what kind of timeframe there is between graduation and starting...
 
We started orientation the second week of June and began working as interns the third week of June. I think we were one of the earlier allopathic EM programs around.

Just think of it this way: start earlier, get paid earlier! (Yea yea, some of us do like to vacation a while before starting residency, but I graduated May 1 and started residency orientation around Jun 15! Lots of vacation time!)
 
I don't know if it applies to EM programs, but I know at least of some IM programs that give you the option of starting early (June 1 rather than July 1) or even earlier if you're that far ahead.
 
Didn't realize some of the start dates were 2nd week of June. Since I walk June 17 it would be interesting to begin orientation before I graduate. My fellow interns could pimp and scut me out for a few days since I'll technically still be an MSIV.
 
socuteMD said:
Uh oh. I'm gonna have to start warning my friends not to get sick in June either!!!

I think in general, it would be wise not to get sick until AT LEAST the spring :meanie:

hahaha 😀

just to be safe

jd
 
At Christiana we start somewhere around June 14th. That is only for 2-3 days a week until the orientation month which starts July 1st. The 2 weeks before the orientation month is spent taking ACLS, ATLS, NALS, PALS, FCCS, etc. Your certified in every possible acronym by the end. I would plan on starting at least 2 weeks before July 1st. Some places might be later, but that is a good estimate.

Pelivar
 
We have orientation on June 17, with an official work start of July 1
 
we start orientation on June 22, official start day June 26th. Henry Ford EM
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad