start dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the earliest start date you know of, in terms of orientation kind of things that happen prior to beginning on July 1? Is there much orientation for pathology as in other patient care oriented programs? Attempting to make travel plans for June, and redeeming miles needs to happen sooner than later.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of places have orientation-type events starting two weeks early (mid june). They may be departmental related or they may be hospital related, and a lot of it may not be relevant to pathology but it's required. Every place is different though, unfortunately. When I started it was on July 1, and we had two days of orientation before starting. But by the time I finished the new residents had to come two weeks earlier, and one week was path department orientation and the next week included a lot of GME/hospital stuff. Not very strenuous, but still had to be there.

What's the earliest start date you know of, in terms of orientation kind of things that happen prior to beginning on July 1? Is there much orientation for pathology as in other patient care oriented programs? Attempting to make travel plans for June, and redeeming miles needs to happen sooner than later.
Thanks.

I'd also like to know this, I tried looking online and couldn't find any info. specifically for the boston schools and west coast programs (CA and WA).
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to start later- like Aug 1, ect.

I suspect this would be extremely inconvenient for your program to accommodate, as you would be missing out on all of the previously mentioned pain in the @$$ hospital-wide and potentially useful pathology-department-specific orientation activities. I think the best advice would be to contact your PD ASAP after Match day (or just ASAP if you pre-matched and already know where you're going) to discuss.

You're going to need a couple weeks before to go there, find a place, move your stuff, etc anyway. Hosipital orientation is usually the week or so before the actual starting day of 7/1.

Your program would have no reason to let you start a month late. Huge hassle for them with no upside, unless you can find an upside.

You could potentially start on vacation, but in most programs that will be only a week or two at a time, and as has been pointed out--you would need to show up for orientation. The hospital and department are mandated to have these orientations and everyone must attend for compliance (so that later they can say, "We told you not to do that").

You could potentially start on maternity leave.

The only other scenario I can think of--maybe they have some reason to NEED a first-year to start late. For example, if some graduating resident from the year before needed an extra month or two to become board eligible or something. You would still have to show up for orientation.

Orientation is generally, and unsurprisingly, of sporadic and limited value particularly to incoming pathology residents. Stuff like don't smoke where it says "No Smoking," don't harass the homeless out by the parking lot because someone got stabbed last year, financial stuff like "sign here so you can get a paycheck, even though you already filled out all the contract stuff with your department already and they could be doing this in -their- orientation," take more naps so you won't be tired working 36 hours straight, our psych support office is over yonder, here's how to enter orders in the EMR, and be sure to finalize your discharge summaries within a month or everyone will be sad. But, it's an ambiguously necessary evil, and you get a chance to figure out how long it takes to get to work before you actually have to start work. Too bad for yall with 300k debt and could use that week to, I dunno, earn a paycheck to pay for food, we'd just rather do orientation and waste your time without paying you yet. Welcome to residency! Oh, and by the way, you get to do this all again the first few days of residency as part of your program's orientation (though at least that will usually have more relevance).

Sometimes you learn things useful, and you may get to meet some people, but it's rarely an efficient process.

Is it possible to start later- like Aug 1, ect.

May be possible at larger and/or more understanding programs, but this is sort of starting off on the wrong foot unless you have a really good reason.

Also the ACGME has strict requirements for how many weeks you must be in training per year; you would need to make sure you can still meet this requirement.

I would definitely not miss the first month of residency if at all possible. Most departments will try to ease you in as gently as possible & attendings will be more understanding that you don't know much. Most faculty & staff will probably think you're not very dedicated if you are already missing the first few weeks.

My old program started July 1st with orientation being the same day. Thus, you did not have to come in a few days or even weeks prior to the official start. I think it's safe if you were to book a vacation the first 2 weeks of June.

We got paid for our time in orientation--both in my residency and fellowship institutions. So actually it is easy money in a way.

Actually I thought the hours and hours of stupid lectures on Hippa, "stress in the workplace" and computre training were so painful I couldnt for it to end and get to work.