Start DIY post back in Jan or wait?

Started by MeghanMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MeghanMD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for all your help thus far-- I need some more advice

I finish my undergrad degree in business in November-- I only have 1 class left to finish that degree.


I'm thinking about either working for the year and starting a diy post bacc in June or volunteering and shadowing this fall and starting in January at CU Boulder.

My ECs are not that stellar yet:
Volunteering at Children's Hospital Colorado (from 2007-2012) I have no clue how many hours that would be
and shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and vascular malformation specialist in August.

I was thinking about volunteering at a new hospital in the fall or working as a medical scribe for the year. Thoughts?? I'm in Denver right now and would be moving to Boulder.
 
The $ are nice if you work for a year but if you're set financially sooner is almost always better than later.
 
Well, sooner means you get another year of working as a doctor, which is nice. On the other hand, if you can't afford to do a postbac just yet, pushing it back another year won't really hurt anything. I don't think you need to devote too much more time to shadowing and ECs. You've already got a nice long term clinical volunteer experience. I'd add another few hours of shadowing a primary care doctor or two, but that's about it.