-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Start Pre-Writing Everyone!!
Started by NYCNative
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those of you who don't want to search the threads, this is what I've got: (PS: is there anywhere that this is more concise?)
University of Wisconsin
1. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them special and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.
Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a passion they have for a particular field related to their future career in medicine. You may wish to tell us something unique about your interest in the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health that you were not able to include in your general AMCAS personal essay. This may relate to our status as the only school of both medicine and public health and why this appeals to you and your future life as a physician.
Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. Please limit your response to 500 words.
Rush
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
Loyola
1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development. This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.
2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse backgrounds. What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?
3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.
6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities and anything else you feel we should know.
2 paragraphs each (25 lines)
Temple University
1. What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
2. How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?
3. If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.
4. What are your plans for the current year- June 2012 until June 2013?
600-1500 characters, or around 100 words each
Penn State
1. If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation into medical school. (75 words)
2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (75 words)
3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (75 words)
4. Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (250 words)
University of Toledo
1. The university of Toledo is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competences is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. (2000 characters)
Rosalind Franklin
1) Describe your unique characteristics, a significant difficulty you have overcome or a major accomplishment you have achieved that will help to shape you into a physician who will pursue the CMS Admissions Vision. *.
2) How do you envision the physician role within interprofessional health care teams?
One page, up to two
University of Minnesota
1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspect of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 1500 ch
2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. 1500 ch
3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged backgrounds, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experiences, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota? 1500 ch.
4. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota? 300 ch
5. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. 1200 ch
6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? 1200 ch
7. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously explained in your application. 300 ch
8. Have you ever been convicted of a felony? 1200 ch
9. Have you considered alternative career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine? Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted into medical school. 900 ch
10.What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? 900 ch
Central Michigan University
1. Please describe any ties that you have to Central Michigan University and/or the state of Michigan. (150 words)
2. Write an individual mission statement for your career in medicine. The statement should be focused and actionable on a limited number of goals. It should be short, memorable and as meaningful as possible. The statement can be no more than 5 sentences. (250 words)
3. Please tell us why you are interested in attending CMU? (250 words)
4. Applicants follow many paths in deciding on a career in medicine. Please describe your path, indicating activities or events that have reinforced your decision. (500 words)
5. CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experiences have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (250 words)
6. In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician. (500 words)
7. An important role and prominent in the mission for the CMU is that we prepare physicians focused on improving access to high quality health care in Michigan - with an emphasis on rural and medically underserved regions - especially Central and Northern Michigan. Please indicate if you have ever lived in any of the following counties: Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any county selected.
8. Please provide an additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc) (250 words)
Oakland
1. What have you done to make your community a better place? (400 words)
2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: this space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
3. Optional: Please explain any gaps in your education, if applicable. (400 words)
Michigan State
1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?
2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?
350 words each
UIC
1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?
250 words
Commonwealth Medical College
1. List the 5 most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.
2. Choose one attribute from the above list, and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute..
3. Given TCMCs unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.
4. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?
5. Using 1-3 sentences, explain how your admission to TCMC could assist in addressing the health care needs of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
6. If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College
1500 character limit on all
Virginia Commonwealth
1. A family member or friend comes to you to discuss a curable cancer for which they are considering alternative/complimentary medicine options. What would be your next steps? (8000 characters)
University of Wisconsin
1. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them special and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay.
Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a passion they have for a particular field related to their future career in medicine. You may wish to tell us something unique about your interest in the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health that you were not able to include in your general AMCAS personal essay. This may relate to our status as the only school of both medicine and public health and why this appeals to you and your future life as a physician.
Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. Please limit your response to 500 words.
Rush
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
Loyola
1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development. This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.
2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse backgrounds. What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?
3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.
6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities and anything else you feel we should know.
2 paragraphs each (25 lines)
Temple University
1. What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?
2. How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?
3. If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.
4. What are your plans for the current year- June 2012 until June 2013?
600-1500 characters, or around 100 words each
Penn State
1. If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation into medical school. (75 words)
2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (75 words)
3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (75 words)
4. Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (250 words)
University of Toledo
1. The university of Toledo is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competences is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. (2000 characters)
Rosalind Franklin
1) Describe your unique characteristics, a significant difficulty you have overcome or a major accomplishment you have achieved that will help to shape you into a physician who will pursue the CMS Admissions Vision. *.
2) How do you envision the physician role within interprofessional health care teams?
One page, up to two
University of Minnesota
1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspect of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 1500 ch
2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. 1500 ch
3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged backgrounds, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experiences, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota? 1500 ch.
4. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota? 300 ch
5. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. 1200 ch
6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? 1200 ch
7. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously explained in your application. 300 ch
8. Have you ever been convicted of a felony? 1200 ch
9. Have you considered alternative career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine? Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted into medical school. 900 ch
10.What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? 900 ch
Central Michigan University
1. Please describe any ties that you have to Central Michigan University and/or the state of Michigan. (150 words)
2. Write an individual mission statement for your career in medicine. The statement should be focused and actionable on a limited number of goals. It should be short, memorable and as meaningful as possible. The statement can be no more than 5 sentences. (250 words)
3. Please tell us why you are interested in attending CMU? (250 words)
4. Applicants follow many paths in deciding on a career in medicine. Please describe your path, indicating activities or events that have reinforced your decision. (500 words)
5. CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experiences have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (250 words)
6. In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate will be your most meaningful opportunity as a physician. (500 words)
7. An important role and prominent in the mission for the CMU is that we prepare physicians focused on improving access to high quality health care in Michigan - with an emphasis on rural and medically underserved regions - especially Central and Northern Michigan. Please indicate if you have ever lived in any of the following counties: Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any county selected.
8. Please provide an additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc) (250 words)
Oakland
1. What have you done to make your community a better place? (400 words)
2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: this space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
3. Optional: Please explain any gaps in your education, if applicable. (400 words)
Michigan State
1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?
2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience
3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?
350 words each
UIC
1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?
2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?
250 words
Commonwealth Medical College
1. List the 5 most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.
2. Choose one attribute from the above list, and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute..
3. Given TCMCs unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.
4. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?
5. Using 1-3 sentences, explain how your admission to TCMC could assist in addressing the health care needs of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
6. If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College
1500 character limit on all
Virginia Commonwealth
1. A family member or friend comes to you to discuss a curable cancer for which they are considering alternative/complimentary medicine options. What would be your next steps? (8000 characters)
For those of you who don't want to search the threads, this is what I've got: (PS: is there anywhere that this is more concise?)
Here is a thread with all of them from last year. The prompts, if they exist, are on the linked page!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-2014-secondaries-alphabetical-list.1012979/
Yes they are all in the thread I cited previously! Hope it helps.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know about "rework," but expanding on them? Absolutely.
Thanks for that 🙂
So . .. . once you got down the prompts . . .. how do you begin the writing?
What are some good writing exercises to help you get started on your secondaries?
I know what I want to say, but I'm having an incredibly hard time with the flow.
Just start writing out what you want to say. You can add sentences around it as you see fit. My first drafts are more stream of conciseness and they I come back later to make them flow. The content is the major hurdle so get that down so that you can spend a short amount of time actually fixing it up.
Besides trying to get every secondary submitted ASAP, which ones would people place the most priority on? Your reach/dream schools or schools where you have a pretty good chance of interview/admission?
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
Depends on the school. Some will send them that day. Others will have a committee screen your application so you won't end up getting it for another month or so. Just try to get as many decent drafts done as you can and if a school that you haven't worked on yet sends you a secondary then turn your attention to it ASAP.Sorry if this is a dumb question... but how soon after June 27th can we expect to get secondaries if our AMCAS is already verified? (i.e. Should I be rushing to get these secondaries pre-written by end of the week?)
I'm trying to maximize my shot of getting in somewhere because thats really all you need. So I'm going through the ones I think I have the best chance at. I'm also prioritizing schools that are rolling. I'm less motivated to fill out the app early if I won't hear until February.Besides trying to get every secondary submitted ASAP, which ones would people place the most priority on? Your reach/dream schools or schools where you have a pretty good chance of interview/admission?
Your app won't be complete until you have letters. So submit you primary but there is no point in rushing secondaries if you won't be complete anyway. I'd personally suggest sending individual letters if you can so you can be complete sooner though. Having individual letters vs a committee letter will not make or break you, especially if the committee letter isn't great.Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
I agree with the last person to post that you will need to submit your letters of recommendation when you submit your secondary application. The deadlines for secondary app.s are essentially the deadlines for letters of rec. It is best to submit secondaries within two weeks of receiving them. I've seen students receive rejections for submitting secondaries weeks/months late. It's important to carefully complete each step of the process.
Tomorrow I am hosting a webinar on "Secondary Essay Strategies that Score Interviews" at 5 pm PST (8 pm EST), link here. Please join me! I can answer any questions that you have about secondary applications.
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
Your app won't be complete until you have letters. So submit you primary but there is no point in rushing secondaries if you won't be complete anyway. I'd personally suggest sending individual letters if you can so you can be complete sooner though. Having individual letters vs a committee letter will not make or break you, especially if the committee letter isn't great.
Most schools prefer the committee letter, and some even want you to explain if you don't use it. So keep that in mind. I don't think late July/Early august is late to be complete.
12 down. 10 to go...
If this is the question:
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) would it look awful if you don't write anything additional? I think my application was pretty complete as is.
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) would it look awful if you don't write anything additional? I think my application was pretty complete as is.
If this is the question:
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) would it look awful if you don't write anything additional? I think my application was pretty complete as is.
I don't think so.. as everyone always says on here "quality over quantity." I think if I were reading through someone's file, got to that last question, and felt like it was redundant and didn't add anything to the application, I would view it a bit negatively.
I think many people use that as an opportunity to explain any inconsistencies in their application, or even a "why this school" sort of response if not already addressed.
What sort of responses are appropriate for some of the more generic questions?
For example, for questions like "why this school?"; is location/culture of the area a good aspect to address? Or should I go more in depth in terms of what their research programs are like, grading system, international opportunities, etc?
or
"How will you add diversity?" Do they want me to talk about my personality and/or life experiences?
For example, for questions like "why this school?"; is location/culture of the area a good aspect to address? Or should I go more in depth in terms of what their research programs are like, grading system, international opportunities, etc?
or
"How will you add diversity?" Do they want me to talk about my personality and/or life experiences?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Besides trying to get every secondary submitted ASAP, which ones would people place the most priority on? Your reach/dream schools or schools where you have a pretty good chance of interview/admission?
The whole point of pre-writing is so that you can treat them equally and not give any secondary short shrift. It's important to treat every secondary equally -- oddly, you won't get interviews at places where you think your stats make you a great fit, but at the same time receive some random top 25 interviews... so you just never know.
What sort of responses are appropriate for some of the more generic questions?
"why this school?"
I think culture/location is appropriate, but I've also heard people/some of the adcom members on SDN say that location and culture is one of the last things they want you to address. I think if there is something significant about the area, say a high underserved patient population, and you have the experiences to back up a distinct interest in medicine in underserved areas.. that may be one of the circumstances where it would be ideal to bring this up. I'm going more the route of the distinct characteristics of their curriculum/program that I feel aligns with my experiences/interests
"How will you add diversity?"
perhaps both? I don't think just writing purely about your personality would be enough, you should back it up with experiences that have strengthened/formed/confirmed.
"why this school?"
I think culture/location is appropriate, but I've also heard people/some of the adcom members on SDN say that location and culture is one of the last things they want you to address. I think if there is something significant about the area, say a high underserved patient population, and you have the experiences to back up a distinct interest in medicine in underserved areas.. that may be one of the circumstances where it would be ideal to bring this up. I'm going more the route of the distinct characteristics of their curriculum/program that I feel aligns with my experiences/interests
"How will you add diversity?"
perhaps both? I don't think just writing purely about your personality would be enough, you should back it up with experiences that have strengthened/formed/confirmed.
I agree. You really want your essays to stand out and indicate that you have actually looked into the school. Location is great. For a sentence or so. After that, I think it is unimpressive. I could say I want to live in New York but that would give absolutely no context as to why I am applying to X school in NYC. What is unique about school X that will make you a better physician? What makes you feel like you would fit in and be happy?
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I'm stuck in an awkward position with regards to my secondaries. I'm confident that I could have most of them returned within a week or two after receiving them, but I probably won't get my committee letter until late July or early August. The committee letter is what I'm planning on using for every school, since most places seem to value it (otherwise, I have three letters I could use now). Is it still to my benefit to submit everything else ASAP?
Blackkrim, what did you decide to do? I'm in a similar situation and my committee letter won't be sent out until mid July at the earliest. Does it even make sense to rush to prewrite secondaries?
http://prospectivedoctor.com/reference-materials/medical-school-secondary-prompts-database
Hope this helps a little.
Hope this helps a little.
wow that's great, thankshttp://prospectivedoctor.com/reference-materials/medical-school-secondary-prompts-database
Hope this helps a little.
I was thinking of doing something like this, just to get use to writing these kind of things, even though I'm not going to apply for a few years. Worst case scenario, even if none of the original material is ever used, I'll still be improving my writing skills. I think the paragraph about experiences is also a good idea.If you have the time, and a lot of things to write about, I think it's a great idea, because this year's experiences are still fresh in your mind. You'll be able to condense what you wrote and add more next year, making for super-dense and specific descriptions of what you have actually done (the worst essays are a lot of navel-gazing fluff about one minor experience). But I would pick the schools that you are applying to now and more or less stick to them. If you can actually motivate yourself to do this without a gun to your head, you will be dancing all over everyone else by July of next year. Another thing you could do is take every medical / volunteer experience and write a paragraph about them, to keep a running descriptive resume to use.
Also, yay bananas!

Most schools prefer the committee letter, and some even want you to explain if you don't use it. So keep that in mind. I don't think late July/Early august is late to be complete.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. This is what I'm worried about here. Some schools that I'm applying to (e.g. Einstein) make it very clear that they want a committee letter above all. Others are more ambiguous on the matter. Is it worthwhile to contact the latter schools and see if it would be detrimental to submit earlier using my individual letters?
Blackkrim, what did you decide to do? I'm in a similar situation and my committee letter won't be sent out until mid July at the earliest. Does it even make sense to rush to prewrite secondaries?
I still haven't decided yet, honestly. I think it's worthwhile to pre-write secondaries just to have a working draft; I always like to sit on drafts for a period of time anyways before finishing them.
Wow, I wish I had seen this thread a week earlier. Now I have to spend all of tomorrow POWER-prewriting as many secondaries as possible. Tonight, I'm just gonna make 21 new word documents and write down all the prompts from last year's cycle. Good luck to everyone!
From what I've gathered, if the rest of your application isn't complete (LORs aren't received), there is no point in rushing them? I mean pre-writing is still useful, but does it matter to get them in before the LORs?
I would speculate that schools understand that different committees send out letters at different times, some as late as August. However, I think that your promptness in turning in what is in your control sets a good impression. Not to mention this rule has persisted despite differing letter upload times, so there is probably something to it. But remember: quality>quickness
Hi everyone,
Questions questions!
This is one of my potential med school's Prompt( My Questions in Italics):
After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?
Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?
Both of these questions were clearly discussed in my personal statement. I have put a clear answer to both.
Do you think that they will end up sending these exact questions right back to me if I get a 2ndary?
How would I go about answering this question . ..without saying the exact same thing?
Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e/g/. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.
Is this a good spot to put why I would be a good fit for this University? It looks like they are more interested in any kind of special circumstances that I was in though . . .so I am not too sure on what is appropriate
Again, I have written an essay on why I was disadvantaged, but would it be worth it to copy and paste and perhaps paraphrase that exact same essay here?
What are you currently doing or what do you plan to do in the next 9-12 months?
How do you say "I am currently looking for work" in a small paragraph? What are they assessing here exactly?
Questions questions!
This is one of my potential med school's Prompt( My Questions in Italics):
After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?
Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?
Both of these questions were clearly discussed in my personal statement. I have put a clear answer to both.
Do you think that they will end up sending these exact questions right back to me if I get a 2ndary?
How would I go about answering this question . ..without saying the exact same thing?
Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e/g/. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.
Is this a good spot to put why I would be a good fit for this University? It looks like they are more interested in any kind of special circumstances that I was in though . . .so I am not too sure on what is appropriate
Again, I have written an essay on why I was disadvantaged, but would it be worth it to copy and paste and perhaps paraphrase that exact same essay here?
What are you currently doing or what do you plan to do in the next 9-12 months?
How do you say "I am currently looking for work" in a small paragraph? What are they assessing here exactly?
Hey everyone,
I posted this question( in previous post) a while ago.
I didn't get a response.
Help would be great.
Basically . . .. if you have addressed a point in your primary application . . .and if they ask you the same question again on the secondary application . . .how do you respond to it?
I posted this question( in previous post) a while ago.
I didn't get a response.
Help would be great.
Basically . . .. if you have addressed a point in your primary application . . .and if they ask you the same question again on the secondary application . . .how do you respond to it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I posted this question( in previous post) a while ago.
I didn't get a response.
Help would be great.
Basically . . .. if you have addressed a point in your primary application . . .and if they ask you the same question again on the secondary application . . .how do you respond to it?
I would highlight different experiences, or discuss the same answer in more depth. I'd believe the worst thing you can do is copy/paste from your primary.
Some questions of my own about secondaries:
any rule of thumb about mentioning new experiences in your secondaries that weren't stated in your primaries? I got a new job literally days after I submitted my primary and I have a couple of experiences I could mention in response to some of the prompts.
Thanks for any replies!
any rule of thumb about mentioning new experiences in your secondaries that weren't stated in your primaries? I got a new job literally days after I submitted my primary and I have a couple of experiences I could mention in response to some of the prompts.
Thanks for any replies!
Let the post-pre-writing (AKA actual secondaries) begin
Good luck everyone!
Some questions of my own about secondaries:
any rule of thumb about mentioning new experiences in your secondaries that weren't stated in your primaries? I got a new job literally days after I submitted my primary and I have a couple of experiences I could mention in response to some of the prompts.
Thanks for any replies!
Absolutely. Why not?
In secondaries is it okay to talk about interest in primary care?
Only if you're interested in primary care. And don't speak negatively of other specialties.In secondaries is it okay to talk about interest in primary care?
Oh the primary care lie that many students use . Once they get into med schoolIn secondaries is it okay to talk about interest in primary care?
. I said I wanted to be a GP🤣and they believed me.😆Haha, unlike you I actually want to be a pediatrician.Oh the primary care lie that many students use . Once they get into med school. I said I wanted to be a GP🤣and they believed me.😆
That is what they all say.Haha, unlike you I actually want to be a pediatrician.
AKA scrambling to get your ish together. 🙄Let the post-pre-writing (AKA actual secondaries) beginGood luck everyone!
Anyone else have trouble deciding what is too personal for secondaries? I'm have trouble with the "tell us one thing about you" essays. I'm thinking of talking about my troubled home life growing up...
Read this article (pretty funny on this topic)Anyone else have trouble deciding what is too personal for secondaries? I'm have trouble with the "tell us one thing about you" essays. I'm thinking of talking about my troubled home life growing up...
http://nyti.ms/1qeWn85
My approach is if I'm question if it's too personal, it probably is.
Recently published:Oh the primary care lie that many students use . Once they get into med school. I said I wanted to be a GP🤣and they believed me.😆
Match Applicants Shocked to Find Med School Personal Statement was Legally Binding
For full article: http://www.gomerblog.com/2014/01/ma...ed-school-personal-statement-legally-binding/
In a stunning reversal of fortune, fourth year medical students around the country are reacting to the shocking news that their medical school admission essays penned some four years prior were, in fact, legally binding contracts locking in their career choices.
". . . Medical school admission is a highly competitive process, and ultimate selection of the student body at each of the nation’s LCME-accredited medical schools is predicated on a variety of factors, specialty balance chief among them. Obviously it makes no sense to carefully allot positions to future family practitioners, ob/gyns, and ’baby doctors for rural Africa’ only to have students change their minds and wreck the balance down the line.”
[With thanks to Winged Scapula for bringing this important new satire to SDN attention.]