Start, prep and finish checks in Residency...WHAT!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plopper

"This too will pass"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm attending this residency. The director (first year running it) wants us to do start checks, prep checks, and finish checks with the attending. This is ridiculous, I didn't go to residency to go back to dschool. I'm not learning how to manage my time like this.
I already have my license in this state! The director claims it's an ADA requirement...I couldn't find this anywhere. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Everyday I'm running 45 minutes behind because I'm sitting waiting 10-15 minutes for the attending to come look at our work. I do excellent work, never cut corners, and am the first person to ask for advice if I have a question.

Basically I'm so disappointed.

Members don't see this ad.

It's august man...once they start to trust you you'll have more freedom. Residency is the time to learn...I've done an unfortunate amount of residenies, and i'm telling you, use your attendings experience, save the last few months to become super independent...i ask for help all the time, and it's not because i couldnt eventually do a procedure, it's because i wanna see how the expert does it

So use these start checks and prep checks as a chance to learn...ask questions, ask them how they'd do it

Make the best of it, GPRs are what you make of them, that's why they get the most ambivalent reviews on these forums

Hey all, so I'm attending this residency. The director (first year running it) wants us to do start checks, prep checks, and finish checks with the attending. This is ridiculous, I didn't go to residency to go back to dschool. I'm not learning how to manage my time like this.
I already have my license in this state! The director claims it's an ADA requirement...I couldn't find this anywhere. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Everyday I'm running 45 minutes behind because I'm sitting waiting 10-15 minutes for the attending to come look at our work. I do excellent work, never cut corners, and am the first person to ask for advice if I have a question.

Most residencies are like 5th year of dental school unless you are specializing. It sucks you don't get assistants and don't get treated as a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Sublimazing. It's August, you are fresh out of Dental School, and the Attendings have no idea what you're skill set is or what your background is. Take it all in stride. They should let you have more independence once you show that you can talk about your treatment plans intelligently, rationalize your choice of materials, and demonstrate you have the technical skills not to require checks. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later, because I would also be upset if this lasted well into the program.

Another thing, ask questions! Learn how other Dentists approach a problem or perform a procedure. Now is the time to learn new things and to learn to do high quality work, the speed will come.

Unfortunately a lot of residencies seem to feel like a fifth year of dental school, but try to get the most out of it. Make a lot of mistakes...well, try not to, but be sure to push yourself since you have help around you.

I had the same experience as you. Did a GPR, one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Wasted a year. Overbearing psycho GPR director, huge waste of time! I basically didn't get along with my director because I refused to kiss his butt. Good luck my friend.

Ok. Don't be disappointed. Every residency is different.
First, I just left NY where I taught residents at a major hospital for 2 years. Use your attendings and soak up knowledge like a sponge. Use this time to sharpen your skills. You're fresh out of school and you'd be surprised at what you DON'T know. Rather than just providing treatment, really invest time in getting an understanding of WHY you're doing what you're doing. Learn your drugs, diseases of the body and keep a daily log of all your treatments so you can go back and study your cases. Believe me, it all comes back to you after residency. Get a full understand of what it means to render Comprensive Dental Care.
I did a residency in 2003-2004. Our attendings had a different approach. Each time we sat a patient in the chair, we had to orally present what we were going to do, why we were doing it and they "grilled" us like we were pledging a fraternity or sorority, lol. We thought they were giving us a hard time. They even grilled us when we wrote prescriptions. They asked us "Why?" for almost every letter we wrote on that prescription form, lol, just kidding. But, you get my point. By the third or fourth month, our confidence was built and we were left to treat patients as if we were in private practice and the attendings told us to only come get them if we ran into a problem. Those were moments I learned how to do the best Oral Surgery, Removable Prosthodontics and Restorative.
So, don't take it hard. They mean well. It can feel like a waste but it's not. Remember, it's only a year, keep your focus on the goal to get your certificate and go with the flow. I guarantee in a few years to come, you'll see things differently when you're possibly mentoring someone else who's in school or in a residency.
I've told students I've taught and former residents this bit of advice on a regular basis...A residency is ONLY what YOU make it. You can choose to not do much, you can choose to challenge yourself but most of all, take something from it and push yourself to do those things you fear doing or that you're uncomfortable doing. Best wishes and hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user