Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Started shadowing today

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Muscles00GT, May 16, 2007.

1. Muscles00GT

Well. I started shadowing my first physician today. I met him a couple times before since he's my parents physician. All in all it was a good experience for a first day. Got to meet and talk to many patients and offer my advice..at least what I know. He also gave me some charts to go through and was explaining various diseases, symptoms, and so forth. The doc has his own general practice, so it was mostly dealing with elderly patients and some young kids. Not quite sure how many weeks I'll be shadowing him, but he told me to come back in tomorrow and we'll work out a schedule. :cool:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    :thumbup:

Good work?

4. Muscles00GT

haha i guess...thanks

5. jp104

jp104 Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You actually got to talk to the patients and give advice? Man, my shadowing experience involved me getting in the way of the DO when he was doing OMM on patients. I ended up standing in corner for the vast majority of the time :laugh:

6. Faze2

Medical Student
    Guess I'll ask this question here.

How many hours should you shadow a physician? I know there is probably no set number of hours that you need to, but is there a ballpark number? I have heard a few different things from other people, but I don't think I have asked this forum. Some people have said that they have done like, 100+ hours shadowing. Others have told me that is ridiculous to do that much because even adcoms will think that is excessive, that you should have been doing something else with all that time, like volunteering or something. They say it is not so much the amount of shadowing you have done, as long as it is past a certain amount. They say that 50 hours shadowing is no better than 20-25 hours.
    What do you guys say?

And, good job Penn State future doc.