Starting 3rd yr, interested in MDSSP

MAS91

5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate your time. I'm prior service was in the reserves before and enjoyed the balance between serving but also living my life. I recently learned about the MDSSP program and am very interested..

There are a few questions I have. It seems to me like it's a great deal! Esp since I'm interested in surgery (trauma or plastics/reconstructive)
I was told my payback for medical school would be cancelled if I got into a gen surgery program or other critical specialities. I was also told my loans would be forgiven 40k/ yr starting as a pgy2 max 250k repayment. In total my ultimately time to payback for these benefits would be 10 yrs after residency. Which for me is ok bcuz I want to retire wit the army.

I'm interested in knowing what the physician/military balance is like. I enjoyed my time in the reserves as an enlisted and do miss it a lot! But I also dont want to ruin my physician career moving forward.

While in med school and residency, I was told there the option of doing 16hrs non-clinical that I could fill out a form and submit for "drill pay" I wanted to confirm if that's true- meaning I do not need to show up for drill each month and I can get a "good-year" for retirement but also more money than the stipend.

I'm looking forward to learning more about your experience with MDSSP, and other issues I should consider before joining. I like the military but I kno active (long term) isnt for me.. 120 day deployment q3yrs I think would be worth it and something I can see myself doing.

But I feel like there more to it that I may not be understanding because all of this seems more than worth it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.