Starting a Business Club in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TankTuck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN'ers,
As there is absolutely no business education taught in medical school, I am interested in starting up a business club (bring in book, guest speakers, share experiences, details on starting a successful business, loan management, pearls and pitfalls to avoid). I was wondering what would be the best way to bring this up with my school, or if I even need to? Also, what would be the best way to expose students to the club (i.e Facebook, school specific thread on SDN)? Feel free to rain an business knowledge down in this thread as well, or topics that would be beneficial to cover in the club.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome. Very excited to see this sort of stuff. You could do it as a book club too.
Absolutely, there are some good books out there, great suggestion! I recently finished the medical entrepreneur and will be ordering the WCI book ASAP (I read the blog, thanks for the awesome posts).

I just found out it is extremely easy to start a student interest group at my school. Basically I register it and then we can use school facilities. Hopefully other students share the business interest that I do. I also am hoping that this student organization idea catches wind, by students at other schools and they spread the knowledge.

Doctors need to understand the business and financial aspects of their practice. I have worked as an office manager in a small private practice, and there were so many issues and so much money lost in overhead. They constantly had issues with funding. This could all have been avoided if they took responsibility for their business, outside of medicine. The physicians wouldn't take financial responsibility, but they had no problem constantly complaining about why they didn't have more money, heh. Invaluable experience for me none the less.

Last edited:
I was interested in this but I bet you're going to face some backlash from administration or they won't exactly make it easy for you to do. Money is taboo in med school. I agree it would be immensely valuable but I don't think very many students will be interested( which is stupid but I still doubt you'd get significant traction).

I was interested in this but I bet you're going to face some backlash from administration or they won't exactly make it easy for you to do. Money is taboo in med school. I agree it would be immensely valuable but I don't think very many students will be interested( which is stupid but I still doubt you'd get significant traction).
Yeah I understand that could be a slight problem. However, I am more interested in learning about business in the medical field than having the school's administration love me. I definitely don't want to get on their bad side and I am not going to be proposing this day one. It will be more about learning and educating ourselves than merely becoming a rich doctor. Also, if students aren't interested, that's their choice, but I'd imagine at least a few students are down to learn.

Acting like money is taboo is one of the big reasons doctors lost control of their profession. Money/business is a reality, ignoring reality is well....I think theres a doctor term for that as well.

This will be awesome, even just a spark enough to get people to consider the subject and then read more themselves could really improve the aggregate state of affairs.

Good for you!

Does your med school have formal student orgs? Contact the student life department/academic affairs/ advising/whatever it is there about starting the org, if so. Write up a constitution, send out some emails, and set up your meeting. You may be able to send out a class email or two to drum up members. If not, FB is great for making org pages.

I was part of one M1, M2 year; got some execs from the community as guest speakers on basic billing practices, realities of running a private practice, changes with PPACA, general Q&A. Integrating book club aspects as well sounds great! And, honestly, some of the more applicable stuff as a med student is often applicable to everyone: keep debt down, living with a budget, preparing for a solid future. Other useful topics we discussed: loan types/sources, insurance, Q&A for financial preparation/transition to residency.