Starting a Career in Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redwings54

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually am about to start medical school at UNECOM up in Maine. Its an osteopathic school and I loved it when I visited. Being just a lowly MS0 right now, I have a few questions if that is ok?

Here goes: What steps should a person interesting in entering peds take during the clinical years? What electives? What core rotations meaning does it matter if I my clinical site offers in-patient vs. out-patient? What should I take fourth year?

Pretty much, can someone lay out what they did to arrive at a career in peds? Thanks all.
-Rob
 
Hi Rob, basically in terms of a career in pediatrics you could definitely gain clinical exposure during years 1 and 2, I would highly recommend volunteering in a pediatric clinic maybe once a week AND getting exposure of working with a pediatrician, and become involved in any medical student pediatric interest groups your school may have. I did volunteer work which was fun, but alot of it was not medically related and looking back more time with physicians is probably a good thing as it will give some more clinical exposure. As a medical student you have a special opportunity to get involved in more in-deepth projects and work/shadow physicians on the side, something I wish I knew earlier.

During the third year, you may want to be strategic about when to schedule your pediatrics rotation, which you may or may not have control over. You won't have alot/any control of what is ambulatory and what is inpatient during third year. I would recommend doing pediatrics after you had a couple of rotations like Family Medicine or Medicine, then you would have the skills to do very well in the pediatrics clerkship and get a good letter of recommendation. I would also try to schedule in fourth year as early as possible a Pediatric Sub-Internship. Some electives well suited to pediatrics include dermatology, GI, cardiology, neurology, but use fourth year also to gain exposure to things that you won't see during a Pediatric residency. Right now as a MS1 to be, I would focus on getting things setup for a good year 1 and 2, and also start thinking about plans about what to do in the summer between year 1 and 2, you could do an international health project for three months in Ecuador, or perhaps a pediatrics related research project. Also, make sure that you get some good texts outside of medical school provides, which is often poor quality in terms of studying for boards and main points of what is important, such as High Yield for each course in year 1 and 2, and also First Aid for Step 1 and Kaplan Notes, sooo when it comes time to do step 1 you already have looked at the material (or equivalent for DO school and COMPLEX exam). Electives can be ambulatory in inpatient in fourth year, but the vast majority are inpatient as this is where acute and chronic problems are managed and you really learn the history of a disease process. Good Luck!
 
To the OP:

At the risk of sounding like I'm poo-poohing your interest (and I'm definitely not!), I would recommend chilling out a bit. 😉 Really. Your pre-clinical years of med school are very intense and it is important that you do well in them to set yourself up for a good Step (complex?) exam and be able to absorb lots of information during your core rotations.

My thoughts;
-Do well in your preclinical years. Solid grades will set you up well.
-As the previous poster mentioned, get some clinical experience when and where you get a chance during your preclinical years. This may mean shadowing a possible mentor in clinic, volunteering, etc. But don't overfill your calendar. You need to have a life outside medical school!
- Do your pedi core midway through 3rd year if you have the option. You'll have a few rotations under your belt for experience, but time to schedule electives for 4th year.
- Electives: talk to your upperclassmen during your 3rd year and find out what electives are most useful, productive, fun for 4th year. Don't get stuck with some horrid attending just because you thought PICU would look good on your resume!

Pediatrics is a friendly field. You do not have to kill yourself to get into a good program. It's not worth filling all your free time with research and volunteer work if it leaves you exhausted and burnt out.

Do what you love. All else follows.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the OP:

At the risk of sounding like I'm poo-poohing your interest (and I'm definitely not!), I would recommend chilling out a bit. 😉 Really. Your pre-clinical years of med school are very intense and it is important that you do well in them to set yourself up for a good Step (complex?) exam and be able to absorb lots of information during your core rotations.

My thoughts;
-Do well in your preclinical years. Solid grades will set you up well.
-As the previous poster mentioned, get some clinical experience when and where you get a chance during your preclinical years. This may mean shadowing a possible mentor in clinic, volunteering, etc. But don't overfill your calendar. You need to have a life outside medical school!
- Do your pedi core midway through 3rd year if you have the option. You'll have a few rotations under your belt for experience, but time to schedule electives for 4th year.
- Electives: talk to your upperclassmen during your 3rd year and find out what electives are most useful, productive, fun for 4th year. Don't get stuck with some horrid attending just because you thought PICU would look good on your resume!

Pediatrics is a friendly field. You do not have to kill yourself to get into a good program. It's not worth filling all your free time with research and volunteer work if it leaves you exhausted and burnt out.

Do what you love. All else follows.

Good luck!

Yes, I agree it is a good idea not to get too burnt-out as 1st and 2nd year as there is alot of coursework. But, it is a very good idea to plan out how to do research electives, international electives, which fourth years electives to do well in advance as medical schools don't provide guidance or help with securing these things and it is up to you to do it. Likewise, talk to those in the years ahead of you as they will have the *real* advice about which attendings and electives to avoid.
 
Thanks guys. I am not trying to burnout at all. The only reason I even posted the question is because I am totally in the dark about what steps to take and havent found anything in searching. I guess you figure things out as you go along, but if there was something to give a little guidance, then that would be helpful. Thanks why I posted the question. Thanks.
 
Thanks guys. I am not trying to burnout at all. The only reason I even posted the question is because I am totally in the dark about what steps to take and havent found anything in searching. I guess you figure things out as you go along, but if there was something to give a little guidance, then that would be helpful. Thanks why I posted the question. Thanks.
No worries. 🙂 I meant my reply to be helpful and reassuring. Sorry if it didn't come accross that way!
 
Thanks guys. I am not trying to burnout at all. The only reason I even posted the question is because I am totally in the dark about what steps to take and havent found anything in searching. I guess you figure things out as you go along, but if there was something to give a little guidance, then that would be helpful. Thanks why I posted the question. Thanks.

One of the most useful things for career guidance is to find a mentor. This can be tricky, and you definetely may need to shop around. A good mentor gives you a unified view of pediatrics i.e. also how life circumstances shaped their career. Therefore, a good mentor will talk about their family life, how they overcame various obstacles, and will be candid about their career choices. On the otherhand, a not-so good mentor for you won't open up, and won't spend more than 10 minutes talking to you about pediatrics, which won't be helpful. A good way to get a mentor in pediatrics is to volunteer the summer before med school, during 1st and 2nd years, or during summer break with a pediatrician in their office, there is no pressure because it is not graded, and you can get the inside track about different pediatric career paths. Also very good is to get to know a pediatric resident, they are on more of a peer level, and having just applied to pediatrics residency will have *invaluable* advice about applying to residency that you can't get just off the internet, and especially helpful if they are an alumni of your school too so they know where you are coming from. What will be helpful to you know is to get school specific advice, i.e. ambulatory versus inpatient peds rotation advice which you just can't get off the internet, you need to talk to upperclassmen at your school, i.e. an MSIII or MSIV, again the advice they give you will be invaluable and accumulated over years at the school.