Starting afresh for USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Drdarkmatter

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an IMG who graduated in 2013. I completed my postgraduation in surgical disciplines and have been practicing in surgical oncology since 2017 outside the US. I have around five years of clinical experience and about 14 articles published as first-author (3 more under review) in high-impact journals. I am also an associate editor in an oncology journal and a reviewer in many oncology journals. Lately, I am drifting away from the clinical aspects of my field, especially the surgical area as a whole.

I had been planning to give USMLE for a long time, but due to financial issues, I was not able to. Currently, I feel I am financially secure enough to pursue my dream. At present, I do not have any clinical experience in the US. I have the following queries and I sincerely appreciate those who are replying to this post:

1) I am hoping to give the USMLE exams. Apart from the scores, what are the chances for someone like me who graduated quite a while back to get a residency in the non-surgical field (internal medicine/family medicine, etc.)?

2) I have a keen interest in pursuing clinical research in the US. What are the best ways to get research fellow positions for an IMG?
[I have contacted a few program directors, however, yet to receive a reply.]

3) I have a few articles in the pipeline all pertaining to oncology, so if anyone wants to join as a co-author (IM residents/Oncology fellows) are welcome to contact me to know more.

Thank you.