1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Starting an organization

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dudecoolname, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So lately I've been thinking about starting an organization on campus. Mainly because I haven't really been involved in extracurriculars throughout my college career so far.

I've talked to some other sdn members on here and they have express their doubts *cough* owlegrad *cough*. If anyone has any input on this matter that would be great.

Also if anyone has had any experience starting an organization of campus feel free to share your experiences.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xtsukiyox

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'll take a stab at some advice. I think I remember you posting elsewhere that you were going to fire the pre-pharm club back up, which I think is an admirable goal.

Definitely before you jump in with both feet, figure out if you'll have time now... and later.

Do you know other pre-pharm students? Are they interested? (A club of one will flop.)

Talk to the professors that used to advise the pre-pharm club. At the local community college, it was the Chemistry department which took on the pre-pharm club. (They meet during the middle of the day. ><)

Attend another successful club's meetings & ask the president and/or supporting faculty if they have any tips for you. Pay attention to what sorts of events are popular, how they fund these things, what they talk about, and how they organize their meetings (& their members). Do they have an online presence? How do they avoid the information becoming stale?

Good luck!

4. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion
    2+ Year Member

How inactive is the pharmacy club at your school? Do they still elect leaders and stuff? If they do then you should try out and that would make it easier for you to start the club up again.
    Or talk to the sponsor of the club and see if you can anywhere from there.

5. Chemicals

Pre-Pharmacy
  6. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that there is currently an active pharmacy club at my school. I'm thinking about starting a non-pharmacy based club if feasible..Perhaps a volunteer or fundraising based organization?

Time is definitely the biggest factor. I may want to focus on maintaining a good GPA instead..But I think it would be neat to start an organization...thoughts?

7. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Gesundheit.

This might be one of those things that if you want to do it, just do it. Doesn't seem like we have to many users around here that have much experience they wish to share. Hopefully I am wrong and as soon as I post this you will get tons of great advice from many people with experience.