Starting date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
In the spirit of increasing our thread number..another benign question
:)

So when do most programs start their first year of residency? Does orientation start in mid June of beginning of July? ie. Will you get a break between graduation and start of residency?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I will get a pretty decent break between graduation and residency. I graduate the middle of May. I start orientation the 14th of June and spend a few days (or maybe the whole week) doing all the paperwork stuff, drug tests, etc.. My official residency start date is June 20th, which I think is kind of funny because it's a Sunday. I was told that we don't technically start until that Monday.

I think this might be a little earlier than some other places, but I'm not sure. I'm actually kind of happy to be starting a little sooner, because I tend to get kind of bored when I have nothing to do. I would travel, but that generally costs money, and we're going to be a little low on that since we are buying a house and all the things (furniture, lawn mower, etc..) that go with it!

I think the ophthos are starting to fear you, Caffeine Girl. Beware the violent ophthalmologist who will attack with stealth and microscopic instruments. You probably won't even realize they have wounded you by the time they have finished and slunk back away. But those tiny little wounds could get infected, so be careful...

My program starts July 1. No additional orientation. I win the prize! Of course, I also won the previous prize for having the latest clinical rotation during fourth year (I end around memorial day!). So my triumphs are dubious at best. What is a triumph if it is a triumph that no one wants?

Weil Felix you don't have to buy a lawnmower right away. It takes time for that grass to grow. Meantime your $$$ can be earning that extra few cents in interest to help you pay off the gas for the mower. Or better yet, get one of those rolling ones that don't really work! Or even better yet, rent out your lawn for local livestock owners to use for feeding! Just make sure they have their own waste disposal units or that could get unpleasant fast.