Starting dates for most internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jopdo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most internships start on JULY 1? Or do they usually start a little earlier to accomodate orientation...?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Do most internships start on JULY 1? Or do they usually start a little earlier to accomodate orientation...?:confused:

The orientation is usually a little earlier, and varies by program.

Most programs begin on July 1st, and orientation is anywhere from 7-14 days long. Paid or unpaid.

Members don't see this ad :)
My internship year started June 24 so that they could get a full year out of us before giving all of us a week off between PGY-1 and PGY-2 years. The orientation started on June 18, but I think I was even doing stuff before that (getting a university card, health screen, etc.)

Definitely nice for the categorical residents and the prelims who are staying in the area for residency, though for me, I'll be using that week to move from Chicago to Houston :(

This has been covered in numerous posts on the Gen Res list, but, assume that you need to be ready to roll on June 15th. Looking at the calendar, this year, June 15 is a Sunday so you've probably got until the 16th.

Depending on what you do and where, you may have up to a week of orientation, plus have to start before July 1. Last year, there were stories of programs starting as early as 6/5 but these are exceptions.