Starting early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a spot for 2013, and I would really like to start residency earlier since I have a gap year. Is it crazy to ask the PD if it would be ok to start this July? And what is the likelihood that they would say yes?

Members don't see this ad.

We need a little more information. What kind of spot is it? A categorical spot? In which specialty? It sounds like a prematch offer, being that far out. Have you completed an intern year. And why are you asking us instead of just asking the PD? If you've signed a contract, the worst they could do is say no.

We need a little more information. What kind of spot is it? A categorical spot? In which specialty? It sounds like a prematch offer, being that far out. Have you completed an intern year. And why are you asking us instead of just asking the PD? If you've signed a contract, the worst they could do is say no.

Not categorical, rads pgy2 and not prematch, through the match that's why it's in 2013. Yes have definitely completed internship. I'm asking here vs. the PD because I don't know if it'll be weird/odd and I don't want to be looked at as the "problem resident" before I even begin! I like the program and don't want to start off on a bad foot sort of thing, so I wanted to get some insight before I proceed if at all. I have not signed a contract yet, since it does not start until 2013. I've simply matched there.

I have a spot for 2013, and I would really like to start residency earlier since I have a gap year. Is it crazy to ask the PD if it would be ok to start this July? And what is the likelihood that they would say yes?

Most programs only have a given number of residents per year that they can take. The PD is probably not expecting you to start, and would have to ask the hospital to float them the money needed to pay your salary, your benefits, your malpractice, etc.

Now, if you're willing to forego a year of salary, a year of benefits, and will pay your own malpractice, then maybe. But I don't think the ACGME would allow you to do that, even.

Most programs only have a given number of residents per year that they can take. The PD is probably not expecting you to start, and would have to ask the hospital to float them the money needed to pay your salary, your benefits, your malpractice, etc.

Right. I think this is extremely extremely unlikely, particularly this late in the process.

Now, if you're willing to forego a year of salary, a year of benefits, and will pay your own malpractice, then maybe. But I don't think the ACGME would allow you to do that, even.

Well no, I really don't want to forego a year of $, but I guess part of the reason I wondered if it was possible is that I was told the program was being given another position, so I figured well maybe I could take that position and then someone else could take the other position next year (I don't know exactly when they were being given the definite approval though).

Do you think though that if I ask, they'll think I'm nuts or see me as problematic at all? That's mostly what I want to avoid!

It'll look stupid because you should have thought about/done this in March, right after the match.

Actually, I think it's totally fine to ask. Simply be professional about it. You are planning on starting in 2013. However, if they happen to have an open slot for 2012 you'd love to start earlier. You don't want them to create a new slot. If they have an open slot for this July, you filling it is a win for everyone -- you'd get started a year earlier, and they would then have 14 months to fill your 2013 slot (rather than 2 months to fill a 2012 slot).

If you say something like "give me a spot for this July or I'll be resigning" then you'll look like an idiot, and start off badly. So, don't do that!

Actually, I think it's totally fine to ask. Simply be professional about it. You are planning on starting in 2013. However, if they happen to have an open slot for 2012 you'd love to start earlier. You don't want them to create a new slot. If they have an open slot for this July, you filling it is a win for everyone -- you'd get started a year earlier, and they would then have 14 months to fill your 2013 slot (rather than 2 months to fill a 2012 slot).

If you say something like "give me a spot for this July or I'll be resigning" then you'll look like an idiot, and start off badly. So, don't do that!

Ok thanks! I think I will ask. I'll formulate a well thought out email and ask if I could start earlier. I am definitely starting in 2013, and starting in 2012 would be even better! I definitely won't be resigning if they don't give me the time of day for this July. :)

It's almost certainly not the case that your program will have an unfilled rads spot a month or two before R1 starts (unless you get *really* lucky). I'd normally say "it doesn't hurt to ask," but honestly it probably will come off as poor judgment to approach the PD directly about it this late in the game. This is particularly true since you haven't signed a contract yet. If I was really desperate, what I might do in your situation is ask the coordinator if there is an open spot before divulging your reason for inquiring. The PC will know and if there is one, you can then take it to the next level.

Yes, that's exactly what I was planning on doing actually-to email the PC and ask if it would be possible. I did not initially think about it really, and something that I was going to do during this year kinda fell through, and my husband is in the interview process for a position nearby where I matched so that's why I'm sort of thinking about it now. I guess I'll try and see!