Starting Freshman Year (Undergrad) Today-Any Advice and Pointers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haitian Rat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting college today and I'm both anxious and apprehensive.

I'm going the pre-vet route, so any advice concerning this route for undergrad is really appreciated.

I need advice on when and how to gain some shadowing/internship opportunities, as well as building my transcript to the best of its ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be anxious! Undergrad is fun. Try to enjoy it for what it is. Yes, you have a goal in mind, but you have a few years - try to have a good time.

For now, just do well in your classes. Once you get settled in and you know how you will do with coursework etc., you can look into some opportunities for shadowing at local clinics, getting some laboratory experience, things like that. It would be fine to wait until spring semester has started to even worry about it - unless an opportunity falls into your lap.

Is there a pre-vet club at your uni? Joining that would be useful. If you are near a vet school, you can always set up a meeting with someone to just discuss your overall course plan and timeline. But again, no rush - you need to adjust to college life, make some friends, have some fun, and work on the classes you're taking now.

Hanging out here and reading posts will go a long way in helping you prepare and giving you ideas for experience. Just read things as they pop up, and in 6 months you'll know pretty well how the whole application process works and what sorts of classes most schools require you to take. Then you can post here and there, ask some questions, make some friends, maybe play some WW... it's all good.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for the sound advice. It really helped me ease down. I'm looking forward to this whole experience. I did sign up for a Pre-Med club where they help with internship and volunteer opportunities as well as networking. It's not anything too big, but I feel as if it will be a great help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the sound advice. It really helped me ease down. I'm looking forward to this whole experience. I did sign up for a Pre-Med club where they help with internship and volunteer opportunities as well as networking. It's not anything too big, but I feel as if it will be a great help.

Pre-med usually means future MD or DO wannabes, unless they do a good job of covering everything in one group. No pre-vet group specifically? If not, you may have to work a bit more - but the opportunities that exist may be less "picked over" if that makes sense.

Starting college today and I'm both anxious and apprehensive.

I'm going the pre-vet route, so any advice concerning this route for undergrad is really appreciated.

I need advice on when and how to gain some shadowing/internship opportunities, as well as building my transcript to the best of its ability.

Hey congrats! Undergrad is a ton of fun--wish I could do it again. My biggest piece of advice for a pre-vet student is to look at vet program websites early. Specifically check the pre-requisites to make sure you're on track to take all the required courses. Not all pre-vet majors fulfill the pre-reqs for every vet program.

If you need some help planning your schedule, definitely reach out to your undergraduate advisors. You can use assist.org to compare the courses offered at your university to the ones required by your choices for vet schools, too.

Extracurricular are important, and you can start getting animal experience by volunteering at shelters. Maybe try contacting vets near your campus and let them know you're interested in working as a veterinarian. Some might let you shadow so you can get a true feel for what the working life is like.

And like twelvetigers said^ there will always be time to tack on more experience, so have fun! You only get to do undergrad once (hopefully :p). Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I haven't seen any evidence of a specific pre-vet club on campus yet. I guess my best bet would be go to wait until the activities fair, sadly.

However, there is a veterinary clinic by my college so there's definitely some volunteering I will be looking into.