Starting immunizations at independent pharmacy!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

macbookprorx

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I recently got hired at an independent pharmacy that i interned at (New York).

My boss pharmacist asked me to find out information about starting immunizations at our pharmacy for this coming flu season and also for zostervax.

Do we need to register in nys to give flu shots and zostervax?

Do we just have to make a questionnaire regarding allergies, primary doctor,etc and get it filled out by patient? I am very lost and don't know where to get information.

Please help! help greatly appreciated 🙂 Thanks🙂
 
Make sure your pharmacists have completed the APhA training on immunization.
Make sure you are certified to immunize with the NY Board (they send you a new license with an "I" at the end of your license number)
Go to CVS and tell them you are interested in getting a pneumococcal vaccine, but are in a rush. Can they please provide you with a vaccine consent form to fill out at home? White out the "CVS" parts and photocopy.
If you want to provide Zostavax, make sure you have a freezer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go to CVS and tell them you are interested in getting a pneumococcal vaccine, but are in a rush. Can they please provide you with a vaccine consent form to fill out at home? White out the "CVS" parts and photocopy.
If you want to provide Zostavax, make sure you have a freezer.

I like this, but you should make it a little more believeable. Ask how long it would take to get a pneumovax. When they give you a time, ask if they could get it done 10 minutes quicker. The tech will say, "Well....probably not. You see, we have several" - cut her off right here and demand to speak to the manager. When the pharmacist comes over, tell him his tech was rude and you want a note to that effect in her permanent file. Ideally, there will be 3 to 4 people behind you waiting to drop off at this point. Turn to the woman behind you and say, "Gerd, I flippin' hate this pharmacy. Avery time, man I swear." She'll be like, "Ya, I know." Tell her your mom has diabetes. The pharmacist is backing away now to return to his work. Call him back tell him you want the vaccine and you will wait. Get the vaccine concent form and leave. Don't forget, you need VIS sheets for each vaccine you give.
 
I like this, but you should make it a little more believeable. Ask how long it would take to get a pneumovax. When they give you a time, ask if they could get it done 10 minutes quicker. The tech will say, "Well....probably not. You see, we have several" - cut her off right here and demand to speak to the manager. When the pharmacist comes over, tell him his tech was rude and you want a note to that effect in her permanent file. Ideally, there will be 3 to 4 people behind you waiting to drop off at this point. Turn to the woman behind you and say, "Gerd, I flippin' hate this pharmacy. Avery time, man I swear." She'll be like, "Ya, I know." Tell her your mom has diabetes. The pharmacist is backing away now to return to his work. Call him back tell him you want the vaccine and you will wait. Get the vaccine concent form and leave. Don't forget, you need VIS sheets for each vaccine you give.

Who knows, with this scenario you may even be able to walk away with a gift card too 😀
 
Lots of great resources including free VIS sheets at immunize.org

Also check out cdc.gov/vaccines
 
dont you need to collab with a doctor to immunize?

I think it depends on the state. I believe in my state there is a protocol where one physician essentially said he would collaborate with any immunizing pharmacist. It's mainly to get around the legal block to writing a prescription from what I see. There is only 1 insurance plan that actually wants the administering/prescribing pharmacists name on the claim. All the others have us put the collaborating physician. But I do think it varies by state.
 
dont you need to collab with a doctor to immunize?
Not 100% sure on all the details, but yes. Essentially that doctor will cover the protocol for all of the flu/pneumo vaccines. Our district has one store that's in a different county, and we had to get a separate doc to sign on for that one store, so apparently there are some limitations on it. You can't do it for Zostavax though, need an actual RX for that.