starting intern yr pregnant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gardilimo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any advice? should i tell the chiefs and PD asap even tho i am in the early stages so we can discuss scheduling? i guess its too late to back out now!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search, you'll find that in the last few months, there have been a few threads on this that should answer your questions.

dont say anything and get bigger and bigger waiting for them to mention it...see how long it takes, act suprised when they suggest it.

dont say anything and get bigger and bigger waiting for them to mention it...see how long it takes, act suprised when they suggest it.

Last year during my third year medicine rotation there was an intern that was six months pregnant. I asked her one day when she was due and she asked how I knew she was pregnant. I said because it was pretty obvious (thank God she actually was pregnant b/c that could have been an akward situation). She then went on to tell me that no one else in the program knew. So, it might be easier then you think to 'hide' your baby bump.

Last year during my third year medicine rotation there was an intern that was six months pregnant. I asked her one day when she was due and she asked how I knew she was pregnant. I said because it was pretty obvious (thank God she actually was pregnant b/c that could have been an akward situation). She then went on to tell me that no one else in the program knew. So, it might be easier then you think to 'hide' your baby bump.

True, easier for some than others. My mother still recalls the horror of the day she asked the waitress at one of her favorite restaurants when she was due, and the woman replied that she had delivered 2 months before.:eek:

Suprises me that you were able to recognize that she was pregnant but no one else could? Maybe they were just afraid to say something since she didn't mention it to anyone...which is sort of strange. I think I might be reluctant to mention something in that case as well.

i have no intention to hide my pregnancy. where is this thread going anyway? just wondering if anyone else is in the same position and what they did/have done regarding starting their residency gravid ;). i did the whole pregnant and being a 3rd yr thing just fine but its no walk in the park...

i have no intention to hide my pregnancy.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that.

where is this thread going anyway?

Into that deep deep far away space that lots of SDN threads go, only to never return.

just wondering if anyone else is in the same position and what they did/have done regarding starting their residency gravid ;). i did the whole pregnant and being a 3rd yr thing just fine but its no walk in the park...

Have not personally done it, but have seen others. If your first pregnancy was associated with significant first trimester symptoms, then you may perhaps wish to ask for electives or lighter rotations at the beginning of your year. Then again, you may wish to have those later in 3rd trimester if you sailed through the first few months.

Since you've been through it before, I"m not sure that internship will be significantly different except for the work hours and possible in-house call which may make you more tired. But I would discuss your pregnancy with the Chief earlier rather than later, obviously, so that if they need to try and fulfill your rotation preferences they can and of course, also to discuss plans about when you will be off after the birth.

thanks so much for your input!

Been through this twice...don't worry people will get you time off within reason. the important thing is to be up front with everyone and you will be comforted with how everyone will be excited and happy to help. Congratulations:)

OOOPS! Forgot to mention the most important advice...start looking for child care around there NOW. This is the single most important key to success for a working resident. It needs to be a place you have frequently visited before your due date and are comfortable with. the most difficult thing to deal with is not going to be your chief residents or PDs but leaving your child that first day....Good luck!

of course your fellow residents will have to pick up the slack and as a result resent you for however they hold grudges but so is life.

there is downside to everything. Definitely being a 3rd year MS and an intern are 2 totally different expectation levels.

Pregnant interns/residents almost always provoked WWIII when I went thru training.

good luck.

any advice? should i tell the chiefs and PD asap even tho i am in the early stages so we can discuss scheduling? i guess its too late to back out now!

Do it now. If you're in a decent program the chiefs can arrange your schedule such that you'll have some light (consult/outpatient) months leading up to your due date and then work your maternity leave into the schedule from the get-go, that way you're not hanging your colleagues out to dry. We've had 5 R2s/3s pregnant this year and a couple of interns whose wives were/are pregnant (myself included, although we didn't get pregnant until after starting residency) and the chiefs have done an excellent job adjusting schedules to deal with it. In general, people haven't had to do any more call months than they were originally scheduled for, just in slightly different order.

This is only relevant if you're in something w/ non-call months. If you're going into surgery things will be more difficult, but you should still tell the bosses ASAP.

Good luck.

of course your fellow residents will have to pick up the slack and as a result resent you for however they hold grudges but so is life.

there is downside to everything. Definitely being a 3rd year MS and an intern are 2 totally different expectation levels.

Pregnant interns/residents almost always provoked WWIII when I went thru training.

good luck.

I'm asking for advice, I could care less about your opinion :laugh:

Ok so LAD whatever is a dick. My good friend did her intern year pregnant in Manhattan. She had the baby and realized she wanted to be around 1 year to raise it. So she took that year off. Now she is starting residency again at

STANFORD.

It CAN be done. YOu can to work hard and not complain. tell your peers. it's unethical not to. they are your bosses and you are keeping information from them. you have to prove you can do it.

you can. it has already been done.

Ok so LAD whatever is a dick. My good friend did her intern year pregnant in Manhattan. She had the baby and realized she wanted to be around 1 year to raise it. So she took that year off. Now she is starting residency again at

STANFORD.

It CAN be done. YOu can to work hard and not complain. tell your peers. it's unethical not to. they are your bosses and you are keeping information from them. you have to prove you can do it.

you can. it has already been done.

From that I gleam that Stanford's standards have slipped. Anything can be done...Im presenting the contrarian view, it WILL cause issues, small or large, they will be there.

Be warned.

stanford standards slip??? boy, you have NO idea WHAT you are talking about. how could you even say that?

please explain. please add here why you think you are qualified to make such a statement about stanford and it's taking females with children? you don't think other factors don't come into play??

First off I am a male but have 2 kids, so mad props at being a mom again.
2nd one definitely is a little tougher, especially if you like me has 2 in diapers. But of course kids are wonderful and bring a whole new wonderful world of experiences. There was a survey done that showed docs were the most happy when they had little kids. Of course a little stressed and sleep deprived but happy.

On a more serious note many residents may be angered by the fact they have to pick up extra call or there schedules are changed. I have heared a few residents complain about there counterparts getting pregnant and how much it angered them. MY advice would be tell them now and be as understanding as possible about them moving your schedule around.

I'm finishing up intern year, 36 wks pregnant now. I say TELL THEM now!! I was able to rearrange my schedule so that I could take all my call up front early on in the pregnancy, so nobody else had to pick up any slack for me. It was difficult, but I'm sure glad I did it that way now. I'm still working full time, and plan to do so until the day comes...(god, I'm SO READY!! :D ). Then I was able to take my two week block of vacation and schedule in a research elective. It made the beginning months harder, but it was worth it to not inconvenience anyone but myself. It can be done, I'm living proof.

Don't listen to anyone else's opinions as far as pissing off your classmates. Classmates that get pissed about this type of thing are the type who would find a reason to be pissed off anyway. Someday their time will come, and you'd like to think that most people realize that. If not, screw 'em. Do all you can to make it easy on others, and my biggest piece of advice...keep a smile on your face and don't bitch and whine. Everytime someone asks "How are you doing this?!" I just smile and say...its not that bad...etc...being a whiner would only make it worse.

Good luck to you, and just think of yourself as a role model for other residents/nurses/etc...we can be moms, women, and damn good doctors too. Its not easy, but it can be done!!