Starting over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrsWard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend wants to go to med school but hit some horrible bumps in the road. GPA is a 2.8. Should he go on to do a masters program to increase his GPA or retake his prerequisites? His classes are over 8 years old so will he have to retake them to move on to his a masters program?

Members don't see this ad.

He should retake the pre reqs. Not only will that boost his GPA since DO schools have grade replacement, but many (all?) schools don't take pre reqs 9 years old or older.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend retaking all F/D/C science coursework. These will be needed for MCAT anyway. A postbac/SMP might not be needed if your friend excels in the retakes.

My friend wants to go to med school but hit some horrible bumps in the road. GPA is a 2.8. Should he go on to do a masters program to increase his GPA or retake his prerequisites? His classes are over 8 years old so will he have to retake them to move on to his a masters program?

Members don't see this ad :)
He should retake the pre reqs. Not only will that boost his GPA since DO schools have grade replacement, but many (all?) schools don't take pre reqs 9 years old or older.

any idea where you heard this? Almost all of my prereqs were over 6 - 10 years old, except for Organic

any idea where you heard this? Almost all of my prereqs were over 6 - 10 years old, except for Organic
Yes, you can find this on some schools' websites. Frankly, it would it matter if it acceptable or not, he has low cGPA/sGPA. His best option is to do what Goro suggested.