Starting over

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by swirlygirl, May 16, 2008.

1. swirlygirl

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am a university student majoring in chemistry graduating in 1 yr.
    However, making some bad decisions and getting occupied in school organizations and etc... I ended up with a pretty low GPA (2.5)
    I really want to go to pharmacy school but I know that it's not gonna happen with the grade point average I have right now.
    I was wondering is it possible to start it all over again and apply to pharmacy school and get in?
    In other words, if I took all the pre-req courses again in 2 yrs in another university and get a good grade point average, Will I have chance against getting into pharmacy school?
    I'm really afraid that my low GPA I have right now will jeopardize everything and I will never stand a chance against Pharmacy school.
    I know what I have done wrong and I am willing to try very hard to get into pharmacy school.
    Is it really possible to start it all over again??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UES Girl

Banned

Pharmacist

Your only choice if you wish to start over is to re-do your pre-reqs and apply to schools with academic foorgiveness policies. As for the regular schools, you can't do that - it's against the law to fail to disclose your academic history and when you fil out a pharmcas application there is something in a fine print that asks you about whether or not you failed to disclose any information.

4. dnguyen1969

Pre-Pharmacy
    what if your school experience was so bad that you don't even want to contact the school and the classes taken has nothing to do with the prereqs? I mean would you still have to report it?

5. AbsoluteEthanol

AbsoluteEthanol PHARMACY STUD

Pharmacy Student

well, let's weigh out your options.

1) Try hard to raise your GPA and get into pharmacy school by working twice as hard

or

2) Risk going to jail for perjury...

i'm going to have to go with option #1... but maybe that's just because i'm too pretty to go to jail dude!

6. UES Girl

Banned

Pharmacist
    Um, yeah, hello ? I don't mean to be sarcastic, but why in the world not ? YOU taken those classes, therefore you are responsible for them and the grades you received. No one held a gun to your head and forced you to attend a said institution. We all head a rocky ride, I'm not sooo thrilled about my some of my classes either, doesn't mean I can just forget about them.

7. UES Girl

Banned

Pharmacist

Yeah, you are, I think your gf is prettier though. She makes me wish I was playing for the other team. ( confessions of the cheburashka)

8. dnguyen1969

Pre-Pharmacy
    It's an honest question, no need to be sarcastic. Thanks for the info though.

9. UES Girl

Banned

Pharmacist
    I'm sorry I've offended you in any way possible, do not take it personally it's just this question has been asked about a million times and every time somebody has some kind of special circumstance that makes them somehow above the crowd.

I took and English course - intro English 1 and for our final we had to write this lengthy paper. I spent days writing it and when one of my classmates offered to proofread it - I was thrilled. That individual then went ahead and turned it in as hers and no matter what I did the teacher didn't believe I wrote it even after I have showed him my drafts and everything. I had to re-write the whole essay in the hurry which destroyed my grade and I barely scrambled to get a B. Recently someone casually mentioned that the said individual now attends Harvard, yeah, Harvard !!!! So the moral of the story is that all of us have experiences we'd like to forget.

10. tharper14

tharper14 P1.5

Pharmacy Student
    Most education institutions do academic forgiveness after 10 yrs so if you're willing to wait that long then yeah, you can wipe the slate clean and pretend it never happened. Though I think you'll always have to disclose the courses you've taken no matter how long ago you took them.

The better option is to just work really hard to get your gpa up to at least a 3.0. It's not impossible for you to get in, but it will be really, really hard. Good luck.

11. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    :eek::eek::eek::thumbup:

12. se20001984

Pre-Medical
    yea...just take more courses...

and 2.5 isnt that bad....

i had a 2.0 (around the same time as you)...and lifted it to a 3.1 (which is still ****...but its no 2.0)

13. PharmDream10

PharmDream10 Professional Student

Other Health Professions Student
    There is no way I would have accepted what this teacher did to you. You should have went higher up and filed a formal complaint, and not only turned the teacher in, but also the student! That's horrible!

14. PrepharmKID

Pre-Pharmacy
    Finish your degree with the best grades you can possibly get. I suggest taking a small course load so you can focus on each class. HOpefully that will get you up to a 3.0. if that doesn't, retake a few pre-req courses. Dont forget, schools have minimum GPA's, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, etc. They have those low requirements because they accept people with low GPA's. Make yourself standout by having a high PCAT score. Get a 90 or higher and and write a good personal statement. Be the best in every other category.

15. HoosierPharmD

Pre-Pharmacy
    Another thing, if you can get all A's next year and retake some classes with A's in those, it will show that you have learned to better handle a heavy courseload (upper level chemistry). Definitely finish your degree. Also, you may want to look into something pharmacy related (i.e. volunteering/working as a tech).

This will show that you have learned from your mistakes and are moving toward a future in pharmacy.:D