Starting Pre-Pharm in summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djg06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well right now Im finishing off my Phlebotomy class at my local community college and I plan on starting my pre-pharmacy classes in the summer or in the fall of 07. I never really listened in high school and math and chemistry were always my harder classes. Right now Im working at target and I just love the pharmacy environment and I have an interview at Walgreens toorrow for a Pharmacy Tech position so wish me luck :D . So which classes would I start first? gen chem and like gen biology? Im planning on transferring to ethier UIC, MU, and still looking for others. How many classes should I take? What electives are good to take for pharmacy schools? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the prereq list for UIC.
I took about 16 hours a semester when I was a prePharm.
Take electives you like. Psychology would be good elective and possibly ethics.
During the summer you can only take about 8 hours or so. Most people start with the general sciences and work themselves up.
Something to think about, it looks like the earliest you could matriculate into pharmacy is fall 2008 or 2009. By then, Chicago State University and UIC-Rockford should be open. UIC Rockford has a proposed open date of fall 2009, and CSU, I have no idea, though they originally stated their proposed open date will be fall 2007 or 2008. Make sure you investigate both options.
Good luck.