Starting Premed Clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fzwarrior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a club started at my State University and I was just wondering if anyone on here has had any success with this? I was thinking of something along the lines of a medically related voluteer club that anyone could join. This could be a good way to stay motivated to get those voluteer hours logged in. My problem is I really don't know where to start or if it would even be worth it. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk with med school advisors or maybe one of your professors (such as anatomy or chemistry) about it. They can probably help you out. If that doesn't work try the offices and or try to email the dean.

Your school probably has the resources for you. You may first need to have 4-5 interested people or something like that but it's school specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk with a few students that might be interested in starting it up for you, once you have a few to be members, make some flyers and put them around campus. People can email you/call you if they would be interested in joining such a club. Go to your Associated Student Relations Office and ask them for the necessary paperwork.

You will need around 15-20 signatures of people who want to join the club, you will also need a professor that will serve as your club advisor and then you will be set.

After this, you will write your club constitution, and other rules and you will be set to go.

Good Luck

I have been thinking about getting a club started at my State University and I was just wondering if anyone on here has had any success with this? I was thinking of something along the lines of a medically related voluteer club that anyone could join. This could be a good way to stay motivated to get those voluteer hours logged in. My problem is I really don't know where to start or if it would even be worth it. Any suggestions?

I think you also have to find an advisor (usually a professor) from your school to support you guys. Good luck! I might do the same thing next quarter :D

You can also affiliate with some larger organizations. AMSA has a premed chapter "start up" program (see http://www.amsa.org/chapters/charter/ )
(no I am not a AMSA member) Even if you dont join their outline of how to start will help

The important thing about starting a premed club is actually doing things with it. Whether it be getting speakers from nearby medical schools or something community based, that's what makes it effective as an EC. Just working together is finding volunteer opportunities, doctors who are agreeable to shadow, etc, is valuable to the members.
Thank you