Starting PT school soon! Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkaht

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am about to start school in May at UCF, and I was hoping to pick some brains about what I should be doing to prepare. Here are a few questions I have been having.

1) Is there an anatomy app (or any other app that is very helpful) that I should get? Some people have suggested I get the Essential Anatomy app. Thoughts?

2) What subjects should I brush up on before I start? Some people have told me to just relax, but I just want to utilize this time to do whatever I can to get ready. I want to hit the ground sprinting, not walking (no one wants to fall on their face).

3) Are there any essential school supplies (aside from the normal ones) that you found to be very helpful?

4) I am being told that I should try to get as close to campus as possible since I will be on campus A LOT anyways. Would you agree with this?

Thank you SOOO much for any advice you have to give. I can't wait to be able to pay it forward in the future!

Tyler

Members don't see this ad.

Essential Anatomy app was ok if you have a cadaver lab at UCF. I never used it. A lot of PT students didn't bother with it even though it was recommended.

Probably should buy gonis and tape measure from amazon. If you know in advance if you are going to be measuring mcp, pip and dip range of motion early in the curriculum I suggest getting 3.5 inch metal goni. I was the only one in class with one and everyone wanted to borrow it lol. Get a gait belt that is NOT made of cotton.

i wouldn't do anything. Just relax and enjoy your time before school

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on getting accepted! I'm a second year DPT student in KY; my best advice in relation to your questions:

1) Anatomy App: Not really... You will find a multitude of apps while in school. Your professors and CI's will suggest some over time. Some may correspond with your textbook or class. I'd say wait (especially if the app costs money) or ask a 2nd/3rd year in the program. Some Apps that I use the most frequently are Pandora, Quizlet, and Skype.

2) Subjects to brush up on before beginning: Sleep. Your semester and yearly budget. Loans and Scholarships. Cooking a week's worth of food in a short amount of time and at low cost. I know you are excited (and you should be), but please use this time to relax. Spend time with your family and friends because that time will become scarce once your semester begins. Have some experiences or adventures. Work and save up some money if you can. Your semester will likely take off full speed and you will learn to keep pace. Trust that your professors will teach you what and how they want you to learn.

3) School supplies: A good pair of Khakis. I cannot tell you how many times we have been asked to wear khakis and a school DPT polo when a guest speaker was there or when we visited a clinic or we "dressed up" to give a presentation. Often it is a staple to wear on at least one clinical rotation. ... And a designated set of clothes and old shoes for Gross Lab. Oh, and Vix VapoRub to put under your nose in Gross lab (it cuts down the smell).

4) Where to live: Choose an environment that is conducive to sleeping and studying. Factor in commuting time and proximity to important frequent stops (grocery, gym, etc).

Peace and God Bless

Reactions: 3 users