Starting RESIDENCY LATE ? is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1111703

My Medschool Graduation is on September of 2022 and it takes 2-6 months for me to get my official transcripts. Is it possible for me to apply for residency of 2022 and get permission from PD during interview (Considering my Resume is pretty good). or is it safe to take a year gap and apply later ?

Additional Info:
FMG- Non-Carribean.
when i say a good resume i mean a resume with good research cerkship in USA.

Members don't see this ad.

No.

When you apply for the match you certify that you will be ready to work July 1. There is no alternative to this. If you cannot answer yes to that question, you cannot participate in the match. If you try anyway and it turns out you knew you would not be ready from July 1, any match will be waived and you will potentially be censured and unable to participate in the future.

You will need to apply in September 2022 to start in June 2023.

Reactions: 3 users
My Medschool Graduation is on September of 2022 and it takes 2-6 months for me to get my official transcripts. Is it possible for me to apply for residency of 2022 and get permission from PD during interview (Considering my Resume is pretty good). or is it safe to take a year gap and apply later ?

Additional Info:
FMG- Non-Carribean.
when i say a good resume i mean a resume with good research cerkship in USA.
Take the gap year - June 2023 start is in question too if the transcript availability pushes out to March 2023 and ECFMG certification requires the transcript. Why would the transcript not be available for six months?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above, you can't apply for the match this year, and it's unclear whether next year is feasible if you can't get ECFMG certified quickly.

In addition to usual questions such as what your USMLE scores are, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the gap year - June 2023 start is in question too if the transcript availability pushes out to March 2023 and ECFMG certification requires the transcript. Why would the transcript not be available for six months?
After graduation by September the college takes time to process the certificates and it needs my home country seal etc (which is really unnecessary) but it happens...

No.

When you apply for the match you certify that you will be ready to work July 1. There is no alternative to this. If you cannot answer yes to that question, you cannot participate in the match. If you try anyway and it turns out you knew you would not be ready from July 1, any match will be waived and you will potentially be censured and unable to participate in the future.

You will need to apply in September 2022 to start in June 2023.
well am a non-traditional med student am nearing 29 so delaying will put myself in 30s, my final day of internship is getting over by August or September and consider that I get over with all my Process and match, can I start a month later or use some vacation leaves up ahead, can i convey these things to the Program Director during my interview and may be the consider me (if am valuable). is there by any chance I can make this work ??

well am a non-traditional med student am nearing 29 so delaying will put myself in 30s, my final day of internship is getting over by August or September and consider that I get over with all my Process and match, can I start a month later or use some vacation leaves up ahead, can i convey these things to the Program Director during my interview and may be the consider me (if am valuable). is there by any chance I can make this work ??

No.

1. As stated above to participate in the match you need to be ready to start on July 1st.
2. You only get 1 month of vacation maximum (depends on program, more likely 2-3 weeks) so even if you were able to frontload vacation it wouldn't be enough.
3. You need to have diploma when you start which sounds like that may be delayed even past August or September.

Wait a year. Some people in the states start medical school in their 30s. You will live.

Reactions: 4 users

No one is that valuable.

• Love
There are thousands of valuable candidates that are ready to start even before July 1st.
Don't be delusional please!

Reactions: 2 users
You can start past July 1st if there are extenuating circumstances. I’m in the military, and many of my counterparts who get out and return to civilian residency end up starting in august/September if they are on a deployment and get stuck out somewhere and legally can’t return to the US by July 1st. (And I’m not talking about returning to military residency, where that regularly happens).

Totally different situation, but just wanted to make sure blanket statements of “have to start by July 1st” aren’t made since I’ve seen otherwise plenty of times. Program directors can make exceptions. It’s tough, but you don’t have anything to lose by explaining your situation to a program director and asking if it’s possible.

No. It is not possible to participate in the match if you know that you will be unable to start July 1. It is against the match agreement. Period. There are no exceptions to this.

Now, if, after you match, there turns out to be circumstances outside of your control where you end up being unable to start July 1 - say, visa delays, or I suppose as @pawprint said, the military decided to deploy you and you get stuck outside the country - well, they can work with you on that... but those are things that come up *after* you certify for the match. Even in those circumstances though, the program would be within their rights to request the match be entirely waived, thus leaving you without a contract. They typically don't - most program directors are understanding individuals when something like that comes up - but if they knew you lied and said you would be ready by July 1, they very well might.

Reactions: 7 users
What part of no did you not get?
You can certainly spend the money to try, but if you graduate in sept 2022 you can not say you can start as an intern July 2022.

try to get your school to graduate in may 2022… then you may have a chance…

and it makes you 30… barely so…it’s not a big deal.

I'll reiterate just to make it very clear. You will not have graduated medical school by June 2022, so you cannot start residency. It does not matter that you are 'only' off by a month or two. You cannot start. The 'quality' of your resume won't make a difference. We occasionally run into this with MD/PhD students who are slightly off cycle due to their PhD years--they take time off while applying and start with the people who graduate the following May. Plan to apply for start in June/July 2023.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.